Wednesday, August 29, 2018

Trying to Branch Out As We Head Towards Winter

The most surprising thing to me in the solicitations for November is that DC actually is putting out a couple of things that caught my attention. No, not the Aquaman-themed Big Event, or the fact that Doomsday Clock is only up to issue 8. If Johns doesn't get on with it, the world is going to end before he finishes this story. Which might be a blessing for all of us.

One item was the Suicide Squad Black Files, a mini-series about a mystic-themed Suicide Squad. The only reason that caught my eye was because Gentleman Ghost is going to be involved with. Hard to go wrong with Gentleman Ghost (I've actually read very few comics with him, but he's just such a cool design). I'm curious how Waller is going to keep a ghost under control. You can't exactly put a bomb in his head.

Problem is, it's a six-issue mini-series (at $5 an issue), where the comic is split between two stories, and the other one is about Kobra trying to take revenge on Katana, which, I don't necessarily have anything against Kobra as a character, but I don't have anything for him, either.


Also, I was looking at the cover to Suicide Squad #48, and is David Williams using Alfred Hitchcock as a visual reference for Waller? Take a look, especially her silhouette, and you be the judge.

The other book of interest was Harley Quinn, where she's going to contend with Minor Disaster, who instead of creating earthquakes and such, makes small, personal disasters. Like texting your ex, and probably getting on stage in front of the entire school in your underpants. Which sounds silly enough to be worth a look.

Marvel is not doing a whole lot. More mini-series, including one about the Black Order, that team of lackeys that run around kissing Thanos' boots. We're going to do a 12-issue mini-series to kill off Old Man Logan. Why? They brought the other Wolverine back, not to mention between his various kids there are like three other Wolverines running around. They're promoting the final issue of Death of the Inhumans with multiple covers depicting Lockjaw being dead. Great plan! Kill the one member of the Royal Family people actually like! I'm not sure what they're going for with the mini-series to celebrate the 20th Anniversary of the Marvel Knights imprint. Daredevil and a bunch of other characters not knowing who they are? Also, going by the solicits I'm starting to suspect Mayday Parker is going to get short shrift in the Spider-Girls mini-series. The focus, based on solicits feels like it's more on the Spider-Girl from the Renew Your Vows universe. I know it was already a dumb idea to consider buying a tie-in mini-series to an event I was otherwise going to entirely ignore, but now I'm stating to suspect it would be an even worse decision than I thought. Maybe I should buy that one about the two Wasps hanging out together instead.

They're restarting Uncanny X-Men with an oversize first issue that costs $8. And it leads into an event called X-Men: Disassembled! Ooh, enticing. Ironheart is getting her own ongoing, written by Eve Ewing, who is an award-winning poet. I don't know which awards, or how that will translate to writing comics, but bringing in new, different writers is a good idea. No snark, not really something I'm into but I hope it does well.

In books I'm definitely reading, there are two Squirrel Girls running around, Ms. Marvel has a new challenge on the horizon, and Domino's got troubles with Morbius. I am. . . indifferent to Morbius, thought I can't really predict how those two will interact, other than I feel like Domino will annoy him a lot. But maybe not!

I feel like there must be a lot of books missing deadlines because I saw at least a few solicitations I'm pretty sure I saw last month. The Punisher for one, West Coast Avengers for another.

On to other publishers! I didn't see the final issue of The Seeds listed. What the hell is it with these Dark Horse mini-series that they can't stay on schedule? I thought the reason it didn't come out until August, after originally being listed for release in March, was to give enough time for them to make sure it was ready. Hopefully it's just a one-month delay. There's also the second volume of a manga called Wandering Island, although it doesn't actually come out until January, but it was in these solicitations, so I mention it here. I bought the first volume two years ago, the premise was pretty interesting, but I had no clue when another volume might emerge.

IDW is releasing the latest Atomic Robo mini-series, Atomic Robo and Dawn of a New Era. I hope the coloring is better than it was in the last mini-series. At Image, turns out Stellar is a six-issue mini-series that is concluding in November. I was not aware of that. Maybe if it does well enough there'll be a follow-up. I don't know if I'm going to end up buying Infinite Dark, but the second issue is out in November. At Boom, Giant Days sees Esther trying to use her "drama field" to improve her love life, which will in no way go poorly, and in Coda, Serka and Hm are going to confront the Whitlord. So we'll see if I'm right about it being poser just wearing a fright suit.

I'm not going to buy this, but I want to mention they're doing an Archie 1941 mini-series, about Archie getting drafted, I assume. They did Archie as horror comics, why not war comics, I guess?

Last month, I mentioned a book called Transdimensional from Michael Gordon and Henrique Pereira. I wasn't sure about its format, because the way I read the solicit I thought it was a different story each issue. Well, the solicit for issue 3 is identical to issue 2, so I'm going to guess it's a 4-issue mini-series about a single story. Which isn't a strike against it, I just figured I should clarify after my confusion last month.

Ogre is another mini-series I mentioned last month, from Source Point Press. I'm still not sure about it, but there's another mini-series, Monstrous, by Gregory Wright and Ken Lamug that I wanted to at least mention. It seems like, after Frankenstein created his first creature, he was dissatisfied enough he turned to robots instead. Meanwhile, the creature went ahead and created more beings like himself. Now creatures and robots are in conflict and this is going to focus on one creature trying to complete a job for a little girl. The execution will be the real test, but I can't say the concept doesn't intrigue.

No comments: