Friday, September 28, 2018

A Quiet End To The Year

December doesn't look like a terribly interesting month based on the solicitations. Marvel's wrapping a lot of stuff up. Infinity Wars, Spider-Geddon, X-Termination. I fully expect that another Infinity based mini-series will start in January. They're doing some sort of 5-week event thing with the Big 4 Defenders, but other than Dr. Strange, none of those guys are really my favorite members of that team. Cable's dead now, so Deathlok is taking his place as Dude with Oversized Guns in a new X-Force book. That seems like a random enough choice to be interesting, but on the other hand, I don't care about X-Force.

DC's starting up Batman and the Outsiders again, which is going to include Cassandra Cain, but she's still saddled with that lousy "Orphan" codename, and yeah, no thanks. Plus, I'm not sure if Dexter Soy is a good choice as artist for the book. Guess it depends on what sort of adventures that get mixed up in. Kyle Rayner's been demoted back to the Titans, they're going to do a Martian Manhunter mini-series where he was a corrupt cop back on Mars. Because I'm sure that's going to bring all the J'onn J'onzz fans around to the yard. The Green Lantern solicit says Hal Jordan is going to use pheromones in an interrogation? He's going to apply more Axe Body Spray than normal?

No, I kid. I'm sure Hal uses some old-timey manly cologne his dad introduced him to, which is really hard to find, and probably made out of toxic materials, but Hal swears by it. Guy says it makes him smell like a pier at low tide, and Kyle and John just politely excuse themselves. But the alien ladies (and fellas) love it, so who's laughing now?

Other than that, the final issue of The Seeds is MIA for another month. Atomic Robo and the New Era continues, so do Giant Days and Coda. With all the delays, the final arc of Copperhead might be finishing up in December, although I'll believe it when I see another issue actually hit the shelves. That's pretty much it for guaranteed buys from me.

In the realm of stuff I might look into, Albatross has something called MegaGhost, about a teen occultist who finds he can summon a giant robot ghost thing. Sometimes you just have to give a nod to an interestingly silly concept. Avatar is releasing a collection of the first series of Warren Ellis and Facundo Percio's Anna Mercury. I'm sure I've seen people mention it online, but I can't remember if it's considered Good Ellis or Cashing a Paycheck Ellis. Although I'm not sure I know which category the things of his I've enjoyed fall into. I might have to give a look at Smooth Criminals from Kurt Lustgarden, Kiwi Smith, and Leisha Riddel. That actually starts in November, a hacker somehow awakening a 1960s cat burglar. I do enjoy me some cat burglars, as long as they aren't Gambit.

2 comments:

SallyP said...

I swear that Hal wears Sex Panther for a cologne. And really who DOeS care about X Force?

And J'onn as a corrupt cop? Who thought that was a good idea? This is why I am buying fewer and fewer books every month.

CalvinPitt said...

Somebody must care about X-Force, since they keep bringing them back. I just can't imagine who those people are.

In space, they say no one can hear you scream. Fortunately, the lack of air means you can't smell Hal's cologne, either.