Tuesday, October 16, 2018

Pet Semetary

Alex wanted to watch horror movies last weekend, I had never seen this, and it seemed like a better option than The Strangers. Those movies about weird people who are sadists for no apparent reason aren't my jam. I should mention here I've not read the book, so if there are things stated there, I don't know about them.

It's interesting, because I keep watching Lou make bad decisions, which would normally annoy me because they are so obviously bad decisions. But they're understandable bad decisions. He's clearly in the grieving process, or trying to avoid the grieving process.

It's one of those stories where there's a character who is trying to prevent Bad Things from happening, but seems to keep making things worse, in this case the ghost Pascow. Granted, I'm assuming that Pascow was actually trying to prevent these things from happening, because the film does show him trying to dissuade Lou from repeating his mistake again at the end. But it's unclear enough to me why he's hanging around that you could argue he's being used by something to move people around the board. Jud suggests the burial ground might have wanted him to tell Louis about it, which implies there's something trying to get something, access to their reality, probably.

I thought the subplot about Rachel's guilt over her sister was going to play out differently. That she would find some catharsis by confronting it, or she'd have a chance to speak with her sister's spirit via the gap between worlds, but no. Not that kind of story.

I wouldn't describe it as scary. I was uncomfortable when people's Achillies' tendons were getting cut. That kind of injury freaks me out. But you can sort of tell everyone is doomed at the start, from the moment they moved into the new house. It's just a question of whether they'll be killed, or survive to be massively psychologically traumatized.

No comments: