Wednesday, March 13, 2019

What I Bought 3/9/2019 - Part 2

I thought I'd have a book from February to add to this post, but the order got lost somewhere between UPS and USPS for a solid week. Again. They're here now, but I haven't had time to read them yet so, only one book today.

I'm starting to suspect this is an extortion racket. "If you don't want your package to get lost, maybe pay more to have us deliver it the whole way, rather than handing it off to the dumb ol' Postal Service."

Giant Days #48, by John Allison (writer/artist), Whitney Cogar (colorist), Jim Campbell (letterer) - If Susan wanted to experiment with a mustache, I'm surprised she didn't just shave of McGraw's to use.

It's McGraw's brother's wedding, and Susan is only now finding out that he's marrying a Shaw, a member of a family that hates Susan's guts. One of them nearly threw Susan off a rooftop in the early stages of this series. That combined with Susan feeling extremely uneasy talking to all McGraw's relatives, means lots of alcohol will be necessary to survive this. Meanwhile Esther and Daisy end up sharing a hotel room with only a single bed, because the manager, in an attempt to be progressive, misread their relationship. Right as Daisy is starting to wonder if maybe she would like to date Esther. Fortunately, one night sleeping next to Esther is enough to put any thoughts of it out of Daisy's mind.

Now that I think of it, I'd be really interested to have seen McGraw's reaction is Daisy told him she was growing interested in Esther. Considering how often he tried to advise Ed to give up that fixation, I can't imagine he'd be any more encouraging for Daisy. Mostly, I picture her telling him this, and McGraw saying only, "poor idea," then leaving immediately. Possibly just leaving without saying anything.

Poor Daisy, and she's such a good friend. I need to adopt her approach for talking Susan out of fights in the restroom to dealing with Alex when he starts getting belligerent with drunks (or getting belligerently drunk). Although if I tell him it's beneath his noble lineage, he'll just look at me like I'm nuts and keep going. Depending on how confused he is, it might be worth it.

I notice Allison always draws Susan as having a mouth of sharp teeth. I thought it was something he saved for when she was being mean-spirited, but he maintains the look even when she's uncertain of herself around McGraw's parents. I thought that was interesting. Might explain why said parents are so terrified of her all the time.

No comments: