Wednesday, October 02, 2019

It's a Bummer End to the Year

There's a few things to discuss in the December solicitations, but not a lot that really excited me.

I didn't see anything with Image or IDW, other than noticing IDW has already spun their Buffy comics into three different ongoing series, which seems overly ambitious. Maybe let the first series get more than 5 issues in before you decide to expand the line. Nothing at Boom, although I notice they're going to do a Power Rangers/Ninja Turtles crossover. Well, why should Batman get to have all the pizza eatin' crossover fun? I had a lot of fondness for both those properties when I was young, but they don't seem to be ones I've retained much nostalgia for, curiously.

I didn't see another issue of Question: The Deaths of Vic Sage listed in DC's solicits. I checked twice, but nothing. Maybe it's bimonthly? I hate that can mean twice a month or every other month. They're starting up Suicide Squad again, and we're giving Harley Quinn firearms now, oh boy. The Low, Low Woods, a 6-issue mini-series in that new Hill House horror imprint they have going might be good. I don't know anything about Carmen Machado or Dani's work, though.

OK, so last month, I commented on a bunch of 2099 books that Marvel was releasing. Those are one-shots, not ongoings, so they aren't actually trying to make an ongoing of Conan 2099. Yet. There are a few more in December, although I'm confused that the 2099 Omega issue says their world is one where things are controlled so there are no heroes, but we're doing all these one-shots about heroes who exist in that world, sooooo. . .

In related news, Annihilation: Scourge is also taking the form of a bunch of one-shots coming out, some of which aren't being written by Matthew Rosenberg. So they might not be gawdawful. Dan Abnett's writing the Silver Surfer, Christos Gage the Fantastic Four one, and Michael Moreci (who wrote that Roche Limit trio of mini-series I bought a few years back) is writing a Beta Ray Bill one. I guess it makes sense in a way. They charge extra for a one-shot, and it's easier to convince suckers like me to buy one more expensive than normal issue than a whole mini-series. As evidence, look at most of the one-shots and Annuals I've bought this year.

What else? That Kelly Thompson/Chris Bachalo Deadpool book is apparently as ongoing series. Elsa Bloodstone is going to be in the second issue, so is Captain America. I wonder if Wade still really fucking hates Steve Rogers? Zeb Wells and Will Robson are doing a Spider-Ham mini-series. They're starting Dr. Strange over with Mark Waid and Kev Walker as the creative team this time. They're doing another goddamn Cosmic Ghost Rider mini-series and another flippin' Symbiote Spider-Man mini-series. Well, if it keeps Greg Land away from books I'd actually want to read. . .

There's just not much else. The second issue of the sixth storyline of Infinity 8. The trade paperback for Test is being solicited, but it says Volume 1, so does that mean there is going to be more? No sign of Sera and the Royal Stars. Black Stars Above will be on its second issue, if I decide to buy that. Red 5 has a book called Machine Girl that sounded sort of interesting but who knows if it'll ever actually show up. I never have seen hide or hair of that second Bonnie Lass mini-series, and Red 5 used to have all sorts of problems getting Atomic Robo published on schedule.

And, at this point, I can say we went the entire year without seeing a single issue of Copperhead or The Seeds. Just lovely.

3 comments:

Gary said...

Yeah, not a great deal in December to look forward to: I mentioned DOOMSDAY CLOCK's final issue just being glossed over on my blog a week or two back; SKULLDIGGER from BLACK HAMMER will be something I'll be picking up, along with the new DEJAH THORIS title by Dan Abnett, but the rest is just churning along.

Pretty sure COPPERHEAD is dead in the water, sadly.

CalvinPitt said...

Yeah, one of the comic shop owners near me mentioned late last year that I think Jay Faerber said it was on hiatus for the time being. But I hold out hope it'll surprise me one of these months.

Part of me would like to contact him and Scott Godlewski and find out how much it would cost to get them to drop all other projects and focus on finishing those last three issues. Way more than I could afford no doubt, but I wonder.

Gary said...

Haha! If you find out, let me know and I might chip in! ;)