Wednesday, April 29, 2020

It's the Little Things I Want Back

Typically, Saturdays are my long run. Get up at sunrise (I inherited my mother's early rising tendencies), do 8-10 miles if my knees allow it. My reward to myself was to go to one of the local buffet places for lunch and read a book while I gorge, then go home and lounge on the couch. I would like to be able to do that again some day soon. Even going out and getting a pizza isn't the same.

It's a common joke among comic fans about us being addicts, all needing our weekly Wednesday fix. I really do miss new comics being out each Wednesday, though. Even if I didn't typically buy new comics each week, sticking to every other week or every third week depending on how many there were I wanted.

That surge of eager anticipation when you get an issue of the title you love most at the moment in your hands. (At the moment, Black Cat would hold that distinction). I always debate whether I want to read that comic first, or save it for last. I think it usually came down to what order the cashier stacked them when they handed them back. Good old random chance.

Or heck, even just getting to see the list of what titles are going to be out that week. It's a little disappointing when there's nothing I want, especially if the week before was light, too. Still, it's fun to look. Sometimes an issue I've been waiting for that's been delayed shows up. Sometimes a book shows up earlier than I expected.

Occasionally I'd spot something I missed when the monthly solicitations were released, or it just looks more appealing now than it did then, for whatever reason. I might not even get it that week, if it's a series already in progress, but at least make a note to catch it in a collected edition, or as back issues. Not an impulse buy, but a reconsideration.

No comments: