Friday, January 29, 2021

April's an Unusually Promising Month

I haven't bothered to go back and check, but April 2021's solicits felt like the best for me since at least early last year. It's a kind of an unusual distribution, though. Dark Horse, Image, IDW, and Boom were all busts. DC, too, although I noticed they've added a couple more ongoings. Damian Wayne got a Robin ongoing, so I guess they're just ignoring that whole bit where Damian tore the "R" off his uniform. What a shame.

Instead, it's split between Marvel and several of the less-prolific publishers. Marvel, we've got Black Cat getting closer to the big heist, and the second issue of the Black Knight mini-series. Power Pack is wrapping up, and Iron Fist will be up to issue 4. Runaways is supposed to ship for a second consecutive month, or perhaps third since issue 32 didn't show up this month. I will believe it when I see it. Any time now, Marvel. No sign of Deadpool, other than a trade collecting issue 7-10. So maybe they canceled that book already. I also didn't see what should be the last issue of The Union listed.

There are a couple of new things I'm cautiously interested in. Si Spurrier and Bob Quinn are doing an X-book called Way of X, starring Nightcrawler. Does my trust in Spurrier, and affection for Nightcrawler, outweigh my unease in the whole "Krakoa" thing? It almost certainly shouldn't, but yeah, it probably will. There's also a Darkhawk one-shot with three stories by different creative teams from different parts of his history. Again, probably a bad idea, but yeah, I'll get it. It's a one-shot, what the hell. I saw a solicit one place about another Marvels series by Kurt Busiek and Yildray Cinar that as one person put it, could be "Kurt Busiek writes whatever he wants." It isn't listed under Marvel's solicits on the Previews' website, though, so I don't know. If it shows up, I will probably get it.

So that's up to 8 books, potentially, even without Deadpool or The Union. But it didn't end there. Red 5 has the third issue of White Lily. Behemoth Comics has Damian Connelly's You Promised Me Darkness. It's about two brothers, who were among those given powers by the most recent passage of Halley's Comet, who are running from some creature that wants to feast on those powers. It could go a lot of ways, but the fact that Halley's Comet returns on a predictable schedule theoretically within a normal person's lifespan seems to offer some possibilities. The other single issue thing was Locust, by Massimo Rossi and Alex Nieto. A plague turned most people into giant locusts, and this uninfected fisherman tries to get his mother out of New York City. That's a pretty solid hook, so I'm in.

Then there were a few collections I was sort of considering. Aftershock has a complete collection of Garth Ennis and Keith Burns' Out of the Blue, about World War 2 air combat. I don't typically get war comics, the ones I've inherited from my father's collection aside, and I know Ennis phones that stuff in some times, but eh, I might consider it. There's a GN through Black Panel Press called Corsair, by Tarek Ben Yakhlef and Vincent Pompetti. A crew of French privateers find a genie who promises them three wishes, and this results in them pursuing a treasure across the southern seas. The color on the cover looks like watercolors. I'm leaning more to that one than the Ennis/Burns book.

And then there were two manga volumes. Vertical has Volume 8 of Kino's Journey. I'm only up through issue 4. Then Seven Seas has the second volume of something called Berserk of Gluttony, about someone with "Gluttony" as a magical skill, who finds out if he kills someone he eats their skills and grows stronger. It's unclear if he has to actually eat the person, or if killing them is enough. I don't know if it's supposed to be a horror manga, or something else. Again, not sure if I would try that, but it's something that caught the eye.

So hey, maybe the long fallow period is coming to a close.

No comments: