Tuesday, August 10, 2021

The Accidental Spy

Jackie Chan plays an exercise equipment salesman who learns the father he never knew what a Korean spy. Before the man dies, he leaves Jackie some things which lead him to Turkey, where he gets tangled up in some huge search for a new, extremely potent version of opium. Or heroin, something like that, it was hard to tell because the voices were all very soft. I normally have the volume on my TV set from 17-24, and I dialed it up to 45 and it was still hard to hear. And the DVD had no closed caption options. 

How dare this 8-movie DVD collection I bought for 5 bucks not have more bells and whistles? Seriously, though, it made it difficult to follow the story beyond that. There's an evil drug lord named Li that worked with Jackie's dad, but there's also a group of Turkish guys who I think actually grew the drugs. Their boss is always yelling at Jackie in Turkish, no matter how many times Jackie makes it clear he doesn't speak the language. I thought only people from the U.S. did that. 

Either way, the end result is Jackie keeps getting attacked by different large groups of angry people. At one point his taxi drives into a open field and guys jump out of nine more taxis and attack him. Later he's attacked at a Turkish bath and winds up running through a bazaar butt-naked, fighting a bunch of guys who are very determined to not let him cover himself. Also led to Jackie trying to cover himself with a bowl of cayenne pepper, which couldn't have been pleasant.

And because there's a hit new drug at stake, the CIA is involved. Because they want to keep that drug out of the wrong hands. Yeah, I don't believe that either. Rather disappointed Jackie never kicked the CIA guy in the face. Perfect opportunity was right after the guy berated him for giving the drug to Li and how he should have left Jackie in the Turkish jail. Jackie was emotionally raw and out for vengeance by that point anyway.

But it's always about the cool stunts and creative lunacy they come up with. I got very excited when Jackie got on a motorcycle and played chicken with a small airplane. There's just so many ways that can go and they're all awesome.

5 comments:

thekelvingreen said...

I thought I was pretty on the ball with Jackie Chan's films, including his wonky Vancouver Period, but I've never heard of most of the films in this mysterious eight-DVD set!

CalvinPitt said...

Before last summer's Jackie Chan binge, when I watched Armour of God and Operation Condor, Supercop would have been the only one on here I'd heard of. The other 5 though, all new to me.

I think Alex wants to see Jackie Chan fighting pirates, so we'll probably try Project A next.

thekelvingreen said...

Project A is so good! One of my favourites.

CalvinPitt said...

That's good to hear. I'd read another review recently that said the pacing was kind of wonky and they were disappointed overall, so I was worried it would be a letdown.

thekelvingreen said...

That's probably true about the pacing, but I think it's probably my favourite Jackie film.