Wednesday, October 27, 2021

Peering At Next Year's Comics

There isn't much new in the January 2022 solicitations I'm interested in, but at least there's still a decent amount of series ongoing I might buy.

At Marvel, there's the delayed final issue of Defenders, Moon Knight #7 (although it looks like Cappuccio's been replaced as artist by Federico Sabbatini, and in the third issue of The Thing, Ben's throwing down with the Champion again. There are two new things. One is a one-shot where Mary Jane has to rescue Felicia Hardy. It's drawn by regular Black Cat artist C.F. Villa, but it's written by Saladin Ahmed, which gives me pause. The other is a new She-Hulk series, by Rainbow Rowell and Roge Antonia, which appears to be returning Jen to her intelligent lawyer Hulk form.

I thought DC's solicits showed issues 1 and 2 of Batgirls last month, but here's issue 2 again, as well as the second issue of One-Star Squadron, so I guess not. Otherwise, DC's pumping out a lot of Bat-books. Even compared to their usual amount. I guess because of the impending movie.

Among other publishers, there's the third issue of Grrl Scouts: Stone Ghost, Impossible Jones, and Tales From the Dead Astronaut. Deadbox' solicit makes it sound like the series might be ending at five issues, but I'm not sure I'll stick with it past issue 3, so that may be irrelevant. Rush is supposed to be up to issue 4, but since it seems the first issue didn't ship this month like it was solicited, I'm guessing that's incorrect. Maybe that's just what Vault does. Deadbox was a month late on its first issue, too. So I shouldn't expect Lunar Room to actually be up to issue 3 by January either then, eh?

Also, I saw in the solicit for Yuki vs Panda #6 that the panda will finally be trying to take revenge on Yuki. Yeah, I wouldn't have wanted to wait that long.

One new series I'm considering buying is Distorted, by Salvatore Vivenzio and Gabriele Falzone. Which seems to be in a world where some people have powers, but there's none of the capes and tights, battles between good and evil stuff going on. If Scout Comics sticks to their pattern, there'll be three issues between the first and second issues. Plenty of time to decide if I like it.

There were three graphic novels from Magnetic Press I was at least considering. Pascal Jousselin's Mr. Invincible, which I see talked about some online because of how Jousselin uses the notion of breaking the fourth wall as part of the main character's actual powerset. Seems like a gag that could get old, but maybe not. Jerome Hamon and Antoine Carrion have Nils Tree of Life, about a father and son journeying to learn why their land's suddenly become infertile. Then there's Pistouvi, which sounds like a sort of bittersweet coming of age story by Merwan and Bertrand Gatignol. 

Will I end up buying any of those three books? Maybe someday.

On the list of things where I'd need to buy the earlier volumes first, Viz has the third volume of No 5, about the member of the global peacekeeping group going rogue and the problems it causes. If I get some of the other manga series caught up, maybe I can give that one a try. And Titan Comics has the second and final volume of Ryuko, by Kagami and Eldo Yoshimizu. I don't know if I even like Japanese gangster stuff, but, it might be worth trying the first volume at some point. On the list it goes.

2 comments:

thekelvingreen said...

I see X-Statix is coming back. I may be buying my first new Marvel comic in years.

Mr Invincible is very clever. It is the same basic joke done over and over again, but it's very well done, and Jousselin always finds a new angle. There's a surprising amount of characterisation for what is more or less a gag strip too. I've only read the first volume, but it's very well done.

CalvinPitt said...

That's good to hear about Mr. Invincible. I've seen a few pages from it posted here and there online, and I was pretty impressed how well things were thought out. So I'll have to get it at some point.