Wednesday, December 29, 2021

A Steady Start to Spring

The March solicits brought a few new things, but let's cover the returning stuff first. 

Marvel has the fifth issue of The Thing, and the third issues of both She-Hulk and Ben Reilly: Spider-Man. Moon Knight's up to issue 9, and there's also a one-shot tying in to Devil's Reign but haha, I'm not buying that. Batgirls will be at issue 4, with Spellbinder already in the mix, and Grrl Scouts will be up to its penultimate issue like The Thing

I don't know if the first issue of Step By Bloody Step is going to do the trick for me, but if so, March brings the second issue. Same for Ice Canyon Monster, where it seems the monster is growing stronger all the time, and may have its own goals. Everyone's always unleashing monsters, but nobody's ever ready for them to get out of control. It's like kids with a new puppy. Vault doesn't have anything listed for Lunar Room or The Rush, but since they're a month behind their solicits with the actual releases, my guess is we'll see issues 4 and 5, respectively. Or they're on a skip month so the artists can catch up.

So, any new comics? Well, there's a couple. Image has Slumber by Tyler Burton Smith and Vanessa Cardenali, about a lady who murders people's nightmares, but finds herself on the trail of an actual serial killer. I assume they mean one who works in the physical realm, rather than a Freddy Krueger dream monster. But maybe not. 'murders people in their sleep' could be read different ways. Dark Horse has the first issue of a two-parter called Radio Spaceman, but it's only written by Mignola. Not meant as a dig against Greg Hinkle, but I kinda want Mignola drawing his own stuff. But we'll see. Behemoth has Strgrl by Lucas Mendonca, but I can't tell from the solicit if I want to give it a whirl or not.

I briefly talked myself into the Black Label Rogues book Joshua Williamson was going to do. Then I remembered I found the last two Black Label books I tried underwhelming, and I don't really want a "one last job" thing with the Rogues. So I talked myself out of it. Larry Hama and Andrea DiVito are doing a mini-series about Wolverine in his Patch identity, called Wolverine: Patch, set before Hama originally wrote Wolverine. I wasn't a fan of that Iron Fist: Heart of the Dragon mini-series Hama wrote, so I should probably give this a pass. Will I end up being stupid? Probably. Speaking of Iron Fist, one version of the solicit lists Christopher Cantwell as writer, but I saw another that said Alyssa Wong. So I don't know what's going on.

Red 5 has the first issue of Lead City by Eric Borden, about a homesteader that gets caught up in a competition between a bunch of killers in an Old West town. If it's all gunfights, I think this would be a pass. I'm not sure comics can really make those sorts of showdowns work the way movies can. But if this is a variety of killing styles, then that could be interesting. 

Jakob Free and Will Tempest's Cities of Magick from Scout sounds like something I'd enjoy playing as a video game. A gun-toting drifter coming to town as two powerful magick clans start fighting, yeah, I'd enjoy the option to side with one or another, or play them both like a harp from hell. Aka, what I did to the Legion and NCR in Fallout: New Vegas. That was immensely satisfying. I really doubt the comic would give me the hit I'm looking for, though.

Vault has West of Sundown, about a vampire that tries to return to where she was reborn to replenish herself, only to find New Mexico's changed. But the solicit lists Tim Daniel and David Andry as writers, with Sunando C as artist. But the description says it stars 'a cast of literary horrors from diabolical the minds of Tim Seeley, Aaron Campbell, and Jim Terry.' So did they come up with the concept, or is it an error? Maybe Southard and Hahn could just give me more Midnight Western Theatre.

No comments: