Harris (Steve Martin) is the "wacky" weatherman for a Los Angeles news broadcast. It's a satirical, or maybe surreal, version of L.A. Harris says he's survived 7 heart attacks, all of them imagined. He works out in a stationary bike park, where running is prohibited. He and his current girlfriend leave for a get-together at the time they were supposed to arrive, and are the first to arrive. Everyone orders decaf, or decaf espresso, or double-decaf with a twist of lemon. One person mentions taking a class in the art of conversation, and when Harris confirms this, they reply only, "Yes."
Must be a minimalist art class.
Harris is just going through the motions, save maybe his roller skating through art museums, but finds himself intrigued by Sara (Victoria Tennant), an English journalist who has just flown into town and doesn't behave like anyone else he knows. Before long, Harris' car abruptly breaks down in front of an electronic road sign which starts speaking in riddles.
I assumed it wanted him to get together with Sara, but then tells Harris to get the number of Sandy (Sarah Jessica Parker), the girl at the clothing store who helped him find a new pair of pants. Sandy seems very free-spirited, studying to be a spokesmodel, in an open relationship with some other guy and extolling the virtues of colonics for cleansing yourself. Harris sort of goes along with it all, but is never exactly enthusiastic, not that Sandy seems to mind. Meanwhile, Sara's ex Roland (Richard E. Grant) is trying to get back together with her, despite the fake she's clearly lukewarm on the idea, at best. I mean, if she was really on board, she would probably say so. Too bad Roland's not only clueless, but powerless in the face of an enchanted billboard.
I don't mind the magical realism aspects. The movie was up front this was not a realistic version of L.A. from the opening credits. All the neighbors walking down their driveways at the same time to get their newspaper and wave to each other, like they're living in some idyll. Harris getting around traffic by driving through people's fences while they wave to him. The billboard is fine, even if I resent it expecting me to decipher an anagram. I hate anagrams!
But I wasn't ever invested in Harris and Sara's romance. Maybe because Harris spends at least as much time with Sandy as Sara, even if Sandy is portrayed as very immature in some ways and Harris doesn't seem invested in her. Maybe because almost everything between Harris and Sara is from Harris' perspective. It feels like Sara is swept up in his wake, not unlike Harris with Sandy. She finds him fun, or at least funny. Possibly an interesting subject for an article. I never got the impression she loves him. More she doesn't want to get back together with Roland.
Harris is the one getting assistance from the magic billboard. When Sara tries to drop him off at his place, and her car starts rolling away, and Harris insists they just jump in and ride along, he's sure it's the billboard. Sara only knows the wacky weatherman is practically shoving her in her car and telling her to let it steer itself. Then he kisses her while she's trying to rationalize what happens, and does it again when she's still discussing induction after he stops kissing her.
Which was funny, I admit. The movie is definitely funny. Granting I haven't watched a ton of comedies this year, it's either this or Paint for movie that made me laugh the most. One of the newscasters gets a good burn on Harris about the fact this job is all a doctorate in the arts got him. There's an extended gag of Harris trying to get a reservation at a swanky new restaurant, that ends with him going over his finances with the Maitre D' (Patrick Stewart!). 'With these financials, you expect to order the duck?!'
Harris getting into an impromptu shootout with another driver on the highway, his girlfriend asking if bullets go bad. Woody Harrelson's in a couple of scenes as Harris' boss, including a decent gag when he fires Harris as he steps in an elevator. Took me all of those scenes to recognize Harrelson. I forgot he used to have a lot of hair. Chevy Chase has a brief cameo where he is the butt of one of Stewart's insults. Not something I knew I needed, but which I quite enjoyed.
No comments:
Post a Comment