Saturday, August 18, 2007

Devourer Of Time

Well, I would have posted sooner, but today was the local Heroclix tourney for the Coming of Galactus event. It was supposed to be held last week, but a couple of the fellows couldn't clear their work schedule's that weekend, so we pushed it back.

As I expected, I did not win the Galactus, but honestly, I don't know where I'd put it if I had. I'd probably just sell it to one of the other guys who really wants it. Or ask Ken if he could put it on ebay or something. I made my usual mistake of making a team of several wekaer characters, while everyone else was loading up with a Herald of Galactus on their team. I could have done that, but I just don't like so much of my point total concentrated in one place. So after I was bounced out of contention, I got to watch the other guys, most of whom were playing absurdly cautious. I do cautious, sometimes, but it rarely takes long for me to say "#$%^ it", and just go charging in, to settle it one way or another. But I guess nobody wanted to miss their chance for Galacuts, but being overly aggressive.

Anyway, I did get my Terrax clix (there were four weeks of games leading up to this one. Each week, the participants got a different herald. I bought my boosters the Terrax week, but spent that Saturday helping Papafred build his barbecue so I could consume large quantities of grilled animal meat), and I pulled an Ares (second time doing that), and traded it (just like last time), to our judge for the Hawkeye clix (last time it was for the Citizen V). I'm not gonna play Ares. A) I tend towards the lower point characters, which is probably part of my problem, and B) he's a member of Tony Stark's Jerkwad, Do-Nothing Avengers, hell if I'm gonna use him. So all and all, it was a nice enough day, though I feel bad for Ken. He was hoping for turnouts in the double digits, and we only averaged about 6 or 7 players per week. I guess people were out of town, or more likely, didn't have the money. The cash aspect is probably going to keep me out of the Starro event that's coming up, that, and my lower level of interest in DC stuff.

So that's all I've got for you today. I was originally planning to do a post about whether the design for that character "Kong" in Ultimate Spider-Man was based on Bendis himself, but after looking at some pictures of BMB, I don't really think so. He doesn't have that little patch of hair on his chin, plus his head doesn't narrow as much at the top. Though I wouldn't put it past Bendis to interject himself into his comic like that, so maybe he did.

No comments: