Saturday, August 04, 2007

Pulling A Fast One

I was thinking about that little girl Barracuda surprised Punisher with this week. I'm pretty sure we're supposed to believe Frank's the father; I'm positive that's what Barracuda wants Frank to think, because it's a way to really twist the knife on Castle. I'm just not sure I buy it, because it seems too obvious.

We know that Frank and O'Brien had a brief physical relationship (during "Black is White, Up is Down"), and that afterwards O'Brien went somewhere for an unspecified amount of time (12 issues to us), before reappearing to kill some old acquaintances of hers (during "Man of Stone"). Was the time period in between long enough for her to have a child? Possible, since we don't really know how long it was (or if one of the issues said specifically, I don't remember). But still, I can't shake the feeling it's a ruse.

The whole reason Frank is in the predicament he's in now is because he got suckered. He thought several criminal organizations were having a meeting to decide how to divide the territory the Italian mobs were too weak too control (thanks to Frank's dedicated efforts), when it was really Barracuda setting it up to draw out the Punisher. I just think that's Barracuda's misdirection mirrors a larger misdirection being pulled by Garth Ennis.

For the record, I have no suggestions as to whom (is that a proper place to use whom?) the father might be, if not Frank. I think the little girl looks to young to be the product of O'Brien's disastrous marriage to Rawlings, or the result of his leaving her in the hands of those "acquaintances" I mentioned earlier. I think Rawlings figured, even if he wasn't the father, Frank would care enough to do something to help care for the child, even if it's just sending some of that drug money he confiscates to help pay for doctor bills or school, instead of using it to get ammo for his M-60.

I guess I'll have to wait and see.

2 comments:

SallyP said...

Father or not, Barracuda really has poor ol' Frank by the short hairs, doesn't he?

CalvinPitt said...

sallyp: Not that was an image I could have done without to start my day.