Wednesday, August 15, 2007

What I Bought 8/15/07

While I was in the Marvels and Legends today, I noticed a couple of stacks of books on the counter. Upon wandering over, I saw it was the two issues of Mail Order Ninja (as plugged at Dave's Long Box!). Naturally, I had to get it, seeing as how Dave Campbell says it's the coolness and all. Though I guess I didn't actually get it, I just had Ken put it in my box. I know I've got a week coming up with no new comics, so it'll be something to get then. So I guess I should talk about what I actually did get, huh? Fine.

Annihilation: Conquest - Quasar #2 - Moondragon cries a lot in this issue. Granted, it's only three panels, but it's three separate occasions, and coming from a telepath who always seemed to keep her emotions under control. She's cries when Phyla loses control of herself. She cries when remembering how her arrogance lead to her "death". And she cries when she thinks she's about to die again. But how Phyla reacts to these moments helps me to believe the relationship between her and Moondragon.

Anyway, the issue starts with an attack by what looks like a giant, unintelligent Brood. From there Phyla and Heather continue their search for this "savior", while Phalanx-controlled Super Adaptoid hunts them. By the end of the issue, things are settled comfortably into the "bad things" category for our heroes.

Gage does a good job of mixing the characters' backstories into the ongoing story, and interjecting some action at the beginning and end of each issue, just to keep things from getting too settled. I'd imagine that for our heroes, it feels a little like Friday the 13th: you know the monsters are going to attack, but you're never sure when they'll appear. I'll a little uncertain about Lilly's artwork; sometimes I think he does well, with the weapons Phyla creates, the insects, his Super-Adaptoid (I know he draws it as it originally appeared, but when I started reading comics it was always just a faceless silver mannequin, and I like this "Composite Avenger" look more). There are other times that I'm less sold; sometimes the action seems stiff, without a sense of motion or power in the attacks. Sometimes I wonder about the poses characters are in. I did like the three page recap of Moondragon's fall from grace. It'd had this faded, grainy (or more heavily cross-hatched?) feel to it, like watching an old projection of what happened. I'm not sure who to credit for that look, the inkers maybe. 4.2 out of 5.

Shadowpact #16 - I finally remembered to tell Ken I was dropping Amazing Spider-Man this week. I bring it up because I think I've decided to drop Shadowpact as well. Zatanna on the cover is weirding me out, like her hips are too long or something, I'm not sure. It's just distracting. As to what's inside, the heroes try to save the people of Chicago from the volcano Dr. Gotham created, plus deal with Dr. Gotham. Also, Blue Devil prepares to undertake tasks from the Church to gain their help, and his lawyer hits a bit of a snag. I kind of like the lawyer bits.

I think one problem with the issue was the dialogue. For some reason, the dialogue for certain characters felt off (such as Hawkgirl's), and for others, it felt like there were no distinct voices. That what Superman said, could just as easily have come from Enchantress. It isn't something I can remember noticing prior to this issue, so maybe it was all the guest stars that brought it to the foreground. I'm not really certain. Either way, I can say I wasn't really looking forward to this issue, and I think a part of me expected the whole "massive volcano destroys Chicago" cliffhanger to be fixed somehow, which I was actually dreading. That didn't happen (well the death toll is a lot less, but it makes sense, so I'm not bothered by it), so that's nice, but I probably shouldn't by something I wasn't looking forward to. 1.8 out of 5.

Ultimate Spider-Man #112 - I wouldn't think think I would say this but, I actually kind of prefer how Immonen portrayal of Mary Jane's transformed state to Bagley's. I know, I can't believe I typed that either. In fact, the blasphemous level of that statement has caused my fingertips to burn. Ow! *several minutes later, after much cold water and guaze* I liked Bagley's depiction just fine, as he went for a sort of feral look, but Immonen's suggests more of a chimera, and I think it works, given the genetic manipulation that causes it. I still prefer Bagley's Spider-Man and MJ, though.

So Peter defeats the Shocker for the fourth (fifth?) time, with a little help from a newly attired character. Could this be the origin of Ultimate Hellcat? That's what the mask reminds me of, different color scheme aside. Not liking the exposed shoulders. This week, Peter's life is ruined by that classic "you and a partner will play parents and take care of this fake baby, and this is a big part of your grade, so don't botch it". I am so happy I never had to do that crap. But Peter doesn't have my luck, so he does. Ha! Also, SHIELD is having problems related to prisoner accommodations and rebuilding their headquarters.

Thing Bendis put into this issue I liked: the potential new relationship between two characters, including one that I like and want to see more of. Thing I didn't like: the scene between Captain Danvers and Osborn. It's not a bad scene to have, it's just poorly executed. The sheer number of times Norman demands to see Fury, and Carol says Fury ain't there. Or Carol asks where Fury is, and someone tells her Fury isn't there. It just goes on and on, around and around, like loose change in a dryer, rattling around, driving me nuts. 3.1 out of 5.

And that does it for me for the day. Good night to you all.

6 comments:

Jason said...

"you and a partner will play parents and take care of this fake baby, and this is a big part of your grade, so don't botch it".

I am convinced that this only happens in TV shows (and now comics). I have friends from all over the US from college and in an informal poll a few years ago, no one had ever had to do this. It's just a weak story element that sucked when the Brady Bunch used it. It sucks that this piece of laziness from Bendis coincided with Immonen's first issue.

SallyP said...

My kids had to carry a 5 lb bag of flour around as their baby. Those dolls are apparently QUITE expensive. Needless to say, the flour was leaking all over the place in a matter of hours.

*sigh*

I was delighted with Immonen's artwork however, which was quite nice. And it was nice to see Kitty have whatshisname stand up for her. You know, that big guy.

This was an incoherent post, even for me!

CalvinPitt said...

jason: Yeah, I don't know of anyone who ever had to do it, either. I was starting to wonder if it was an urban legend.

sallyp: Well, I guess the fabled "baby assignment" exists after all. Honestly, a sack of flour seems a little lacking in durability to serve as a baby. Ought to give them a safe or something tougher.

Yeah, I think Kong (or Kenny), is smitten with Kitty. How cute (and I don't mean it in a "it makes me nauseous" way, either).

Anonymous said...

In high school, I had to take care of a hard-boiled egg. We drew faces on them. Mine just lived in my van cupholder until it was time to turn it in.

CalvinPitt said...

kanedoras: Did you have to pack tissue paper around it, because it seems like it would jounce around too much otherwise.

Irregardless, it's nice to see this assignment actually does exist. I say "nice" because it means, it's actually an annoying assignment I managed to miss in my public school days.

Anonymous said...

Hard-boiled egg in seventh grade, nobody cared about the project, I flunked it (you had to bring in some materials before you got your egg and I brought them in two days after the eggs were collected from the students) and passed the course with a B or an A.