Monday, February 23, 2009

Are Your Comics Your Mood-Elevator?

It can't be a good sign that "Ankle turned 90 degrees while playing basketball with co-workers*" doesn't even rank in the Top 5 of things that annoyed me today. Heck, "Wow, this morning air is so cold and dry, my nose has started to bleed!" didn't even make the top 3. Now that I've bored you with tidbits from my life, I'll get to the matter at hand.

I'm not quite sure how to phrase this, so I'll pose it thusly: Do you prefer when your comics serve as the cherry on top of a peachy keen day, or when your comics serve as the one glimmer of sunshine on what's been an other wise crap day?

I'd imagine most people would opt for the former, if for no other reason than it means you were already having a fine day. That would be my choice, though there is something to be said for "At least I get to read comics today". The problem I see is it puts an awful lot of pressure on your comics. They have to redeem your entire day. The mind-numbing work, the irritating commute, the depressing weather, whatever. That is, perhaps, quite a bit to ask of our comics. Sometimes they can come through for us, and sometimes they don't. I'd say that on some occasions, just getting to take the time to read them makes the day a little better.

Even so, I'd still rather be happy before I buy my comics, just because I think it makes me more appreciative of them, just because my frame of mind is better.

* What I found hilarious about this situation was it happened around the basket, I got up and started trying to walk it off, heading towards the other basket. As I turned and came back, still sort of hopping, and still definitely cursing, the ball bounced to me, and I put up a shot from maybe 18 feet. Swish. This after I hadn't been able to hit a shot more than 6 feet from the basket through 2+ games up to that point. I may have freaked out my co-workers when I started cackling about that, I'm not sure.

3 comments:

Seangreyson said...

I think I prefer the comics on an otherwise pleasant day. That way I'm enjoying them independent of other stress. Plus it helps when there are comics I'm not wildly excited about coming out, I don't need those comics to entertain me.

Jason said...

I'd prfer my comics to be the capper to a good day, however, Wednesdays tend to me my crappiest day at work, so they often serve as something I have to cling to to get me through, even if it promesis to be a light week.

For example: last wednesdy sucked, but the last page of X-Factor definitely let me end the day on a high note (and reversed my decision to drop the series).

Diamondrock said...

I agree with Jason. I'd rather all my days were good... But in my experience, Wednesdays tend to suck. When I was in college they were always my busiest day. But when classes were finished I knew that I only had two days left in the week... And that it was time for comics.

That's a very good feeling.