Monday, February 09, 2009

Booster May Need A Refresher From Time Master School

I was rereading Booster Gold #16, and I notice Booster, right before he shoots down Enemy Ace, thinking to himself, 'Rip says I'm not supposed to interject myself into history. But Rip isn't here. No matter the risk, it can't be wrong to save a life. Ever.'

First thing, it's a fine ideal, truly befitting a hero. However, I thought Booster had already seen the danger in such a principle when one is a Time Master. He saved Ted Kord, and it nearly caused the destruction of the Earth. Dozens of other lives were lost as a result. Booster did not actually take those lives, but saving Ted unfortunately triggered a chain reaction Booster was unable to undo. I think Booster clearly understands there can be consequences of such a policy, because he says 'no matter the risk'.

I suppose it's an essential dilemma superheroes face. If you save this person, you can't save that person*. How do you decide which to save? One of the things I picked up on Saturday's excursion was the Gang War story arc on Amazing Spider-Man #284-288. I intend to talk more about it later**, but what's relevant for this is Spider-Man keeps getting involved in the gang war, whether he's trying to prevent the rival factions from killing each other, or trying to stop the Punisher from doing it. And at times, he questions what the heck he's doing that for. As Castle points out, while Spider-Man is busy stopping Frank from killing a bunch of mobsters with a bazooka, there are innocent people out there he could be protecting, so what's he doing here?

Perhaps it comes down to what you're willing to risk. Saving so-and-so could have dire repercussions in the future, but can the hero live with themselves in the present if they do nothing for fear of said repercussions?

Mostly, I just found it interesting that Booster's overall attitude doesn't seemed to have been affected by the disaster that was trying to save Ted.

* This is assuming the two people are in sufficiently disparate locations that you cannot, in fact save both.

** probably focusing on some of the problems I had with it that detracted from my enjoyment.

2 comments:

SallyP said...

I just think that Booster really can't help himself. He's going to instinctively jump in an save somebody, whether or not Rip says to do so, or not. It's ok for Rip to be objective, but it's a lot harder for Booster.

CalvinPitt said...

sallyp: Yeah, Rip's been a Time Master longer, so I guess he's more accustomed to only being able to save specific people. Meanwhile, Booster's still in "superhero mode", where the instinct is to save everybody.

But seeing as Booster is Rip's dad, and must have taught Rip, I guess Booster got the hang of it eventually. From Rip. *cue time travel-induced headache*