Monday, March 13, 2006

Things I Think About #23

I was reading an issue of Wizard, and they were talking with someone from DC about all the lead-ins to Infinite Crisis. Included in this was the fact that the Legion of Superheroes reboot was the result of Superboy-Prime punching the walls of reali. . . I can't even finish that sentence. That has to be the dumbest explanation for anything I've ever read in comic books. Still, it raised this question:

How long has Alex Luthor been manipulating Hal Jordan?

We know that the Red-Headed Step-Luthor used Psycho-Pirate to trick Jean Loring into being Ecpliso's host, so Eclipso could convince the Spectre to destroy all "ordered" magic. Good Lord that's convoluted, and I'm still not sure I buy the Spectre as a big ol' horndog. But how long has Alex been at this?

Did he have something to do with Hal and the Spectre parting ways? Was he the one who directed the Sun-Eater to Earth's sun, forcing Hal to sacrifice his life to reignite it? Did he somehow engineer the destruction of Coast City, which left Hal in a more vulnerable position for Parallax (I never did understand why Superman-Cyborg decided to destroy Coast City instead of Metropolis, Gotham, New York, Central or Keystone City, Washington D.C.)? Was Alex in secret communications with the Big Yellow Locust of Fear, while it was still trapped in the Central Power Battery? And could a being that's been around for billions of years be fooled by Luthor? I suppose so, since he is evidently the most clever and powerful being in existence. Still, where does the meddling end?!

To all this, I can only conclude by saying, "Ugh". And Field Botany is going to kick my ass for the next eight weeks. Ugh squared.

5 comments:

Jim said...

They'll probably claim that Superboy pounding on the walls of reality caused his own rocket to crash on earth rather than spinning into a sun. Y'know, just chip a little infinity into the Superman mythos.

Diamondrock said...

I dont't believe that destroying Coast City was random. Remember, the Cyborg-Superman and Mongul were trying to create Engine Cities so that they could turn Earth into a Warworld. I imagine that those things have to be pretty specifically placed. Coast City just happened to be in the wrong place.

At least that's how *I* rationalize it...

Ragnell said...

I think Cyborg Superman and Mongul purposefulyl targetted Coast City, hoping they'd get the local Green Lantern actually. It was known to be his home and these guys might have figured they had enough firepower to kill him and the city at once. That way, once they got their new warworld underway and killed Superman, the sector's Lantern'd be a fresh rookie and much easier to get out of their hair than a vet like Hal.

CalvinPitt said...

jim: I wouldn't doubt it.

diamondrock: Now that you mention it, I remembered the part about the Engine City being placed in the wreckage.

ragnell: Where was John Stewart? And I know Garnder had a ring (a yellow one, but still). Would it have gone straight to a rookie? This is happens when I talk about things that happened when I didn't read DC.

Marc Burkhardt said...

I love Ragnell's explanation, though that aspect of the Reign of the Supermen still bugs me because it led to Hal's editorially mandated abrupt wig-out.

I believe at that time John Stewart was on the "Mosiac World" while Guy was on the verge of losing his ring and becoming Warrior, part of that whole "No Other Green Lantern in the Universe but Kyle" insanity.