Monday, April 17, 2006

Things I Think About #29

In this post I asked you what characters that had returned from the dead should have stayed dead. Today, I'm reversing that, so, what characters that have died should come back to life?

It can be because the death was horribly out of character, or because it was just a way to move the plot along. Though I doubt many are clamoring for her return, Jade's death would seem to be an example of the latter. You could want the character to come back because they had so much potential that was wasted. Whatever your reason, just be sure to share with the rest of us.
Just to surprise you, I won't choose Stephanie Brown, though I would like her to come back. Her death made some sense, by which I mean that her overeagerness to prove herself doomed her, not in the sense that Leslie Thompkins let her die to teach Batman a lesson. Here's an idea Doc: When Batman comes to the hospital, tell him Spoiler's doing poorly. While he's standing over her, feeling grief, stab him in the groin with a scalpel, then tell him to leave so you can save the girl's life! It wouldn't have been anymore out of character.

Sorry, where was I? Oh yeah, the character I'd bring back.

Peter and Mary Jane's baby. No dead infant, no abduction by agents of Norman Osborn. She's born, and she's with her parents right from the start. I've seen people complain that Peter was losing his everyman status at that point, being married to a supermodel/actress and all. So give him a responsibility normal people have. Make him balance his desire to use his abilities to help people, with a need to take care of his family.

I don't know. Maybe that would be horrible. But the whole scene where he runs to the hospital, after dealing with the startling reemergence of Norman Osborn, to find out the baby didn't survive, it just felt cheap. "Oh, we let Peter find out he is the original Peter Parker after all, so let's balance that by taking his kid away. The old Parker luck, you know." Except they'd already killed a guy who'd become like a brother to him (Ben Reilly), and reintroduced his greatest foe - no, not his old landlord Mrs. Muggins! - Norman Osborn to be a consistent hindrance to him, so I think any good fortune the revelation provided was already offset.

Hmm, maybe I should have asked for Ben Reilly. Except I think I was the only person who liked the Scarlet Spider outfit. It did seem efficient and functional though. And "swinging, bachelor, trying to find a place for himself" Ben Reilly was the closest they'd come to the original Spider-Man in quite some time. Which was the whole point of introducing him as I understand it. To remove all the excess baggage Peter had accrued over the years, by having a new Spidey. But we fans - including me - weren't having it. Still, they could have made him a sort of globe-trotting Spidey, wander the world. He could go to China and fight the Mandarin, or Collective Man, for example. OK, I'll stop now.

So, what character's triumphant return from the grave are you crying out for? Remember, if you clap your hands, and wish real hard, you might convince Joey Q or DiDio to resurrect them!

3 comments:

LEN! said...

Make that two people who like Ben Reilly. He was a good clone character. It was the other clones that made his stories look bad.

Personally, the dead person in comics who need to be brought back, has to be Jean Grey-Summers, AKA Phoenix. Not just because her name is "Phoenix" either.

The main reason I feel this way is because when people say "there are too many X-Men" I tell them you only need three X-Men to get a great deal of the charcter dynamic (even though more is better). Jean is one of these because she's cute, she's powerful, and she is the source of all that great Wolverine/Cyclops bickering.

Marc Burkhardt said...

Sue Dibny

Anonymous said...

Mockingbird. I always thought she was a good character. It would be nice to see her return somehow or another.