Thursday, August 09, 2007

The Things I Focus On

For some very reason, I'm hung up on the fact that Rahne Sinclair was wearing three earrings in one ear in this week's issue of X-Factor. I suppose my subconscious has given up on trying to discern where PAD is going with the larger story arc, and I've settled on trying to unravel smaller mysteries.

I suppose the reason it struck me is because I tend to associate have piercings, especially multiple piercings, as a sign of someone fairly secure with themselves. People can react negatively to lots of piercings (though that seems to be ones on the face more than the ears), and it would be a self-assured person who would wear them, regardless of other's reactions. I grant you, my basis for that is mainly that my friend Alex and most of his other friends have several piercings, and I generally consider all of them to be more self-assured than I am (but also more screwed up than me), and I've zero piercings, because I'm not a fan of letting people jab me with pointy things. So yeah, it's a weak foundation, but I think that combined with my perception of Rahne as very repressed and not interested in calling much attention to herself.

Of course, the counter to that would be that she wears a large crucifix around her neck (and now she's sporting an "X" emblem as well), but I think that's more about a reminder of her faith (and the X a way of showing what group she belongs to), less than trying to draw attention to her as an individual.

Then I noticed, upon going through some of the previous issues that this is expanding. In the X-Cell story she wasn't wearing any. OK, that was Khoi Pham, now Pablo Raimondi's back, so maybe just an artistic preference. But in the #21, she's only wearing one earring when she goes to check on Rictor. Now she's wearing three. I must say, seeing that made me feel a little better, because I feel like there's a little more substance to my noticing that (not a lot, but better than nothing).

The one thing PAD keeps going back to is that Rahne doesn't trust her wolf self; that she only lets it out when she really has to, or when she wants to hurt someone, because she doesn't entirely trust it not to go all "Hulk Smash" on an innocent person. So I'm wondering if this isn't a sign of either an inner conflict between her two halves (Which would be appropriate, given the struggles so many of the team have with themselves), or a sign that they're coming to a reconciliation. Perhaps Rahne is going to start trusting her instincts more, let loose a little, and by becoming more accepting of that half she always feared, she'll lower the danger. Being more expressive about how she feels might just act as a pressure valve, by letting that instinctual half have a little more play, instead of only turning to it in emergencies.

I guess I'll have to wait and see. And check on it when #23 comes out next month.

Now, if you'll excuse me, I'm off to prepare for Rick Ankiel's hopefully successful return to the majors - as an outfielder. I fully predict a huge standing ovation when he first comes up to bat; too many fans have (metaphorically) bled for too long, hoping he'd find his way back. Sure, they were hoping he'd return as a pitcher, but you it's not a perfect world.

6 comments:

Jason said...

I didn't even notice that, damn, and I consider myself to be pretty perceptive. I'll have to read the last two issues again.

Now, I'm off to watch the Cubs lose...again. Dammit.

CalvinPitt said...

jason: Ha! Sows what you know, the Cubs won! Ha, ha!

Wait, why the hell am I laughing? I don't want the Cubs to win! They're still ahead of us in the standings!

Matthew said...

Cubs? Standings?

Ah. Your Earth 'base ball'. I understand.

Jason said...

I swear to God, if the Cards overtake both the Cubs and the Brewers I will lose faith in all things that are good and holy.

However, it was nice the see Ankiel smack one in his return. It'll be interesting if he can have a successful second half to his career.

CalvinPitt said...

matthew: Also known as "bases-ball", if you're Dr. Quest appearing on Harvey Birdman, anyway.

jason: Even though the Cubs and Brewers seem unwilling to just pull away and leave StL in the dust, the Cards can't seem to get everything clicking at the same time to make the sustained run they'd need.

I figure Ankiel could be a lot like Reggie Sanders: moderate average, low on-base, pretty good slugging, solid D, good speed. So not earth-shattering, but not bad, considering the circumstances.

SallyP said...

Who is this "Ankiel" of whom you speak? I only know David Ortiz and Tim Wakefield.

Mmmmmmm....Timmy. He's just Dreamy!