Thursday, February 12, 2009

I'd Like To Share Something With You

Once upon a time, I was a huge fan of the Spawn animated series. I've mentioned that once in passing, about 2 years ago. Well, perhaps "huge" is overstating it, but you can believe I was flipping through the cable guide compulsively, trying to make certain I was aware of every showing that was coming. In what may be an odd twist, I wasn't reading Spawn at that time, and had never read it at that time*, though Wizard had made certain I was aware of it.

Anyway, for as into the show as I was, and yes, as disappointed as I was when the episodes stopped, only one thing has stuck with me from the show. Spawn has been back for awhile, and causing a bit of trouble for his former employer (and killer) Jason Wynn. You know stolen some high-tech weapons and such. Wynn has no idea about Spawn's existence, and so the finger is pointed at Spawn's old friend (and the guy currently married to Spawn's wife in his previous existence), Terry Fitzgerald. Wynn sends people to kill Fitzgerald, who is conveniently working late in a dark and empty building. Fitzgerald is wounded, and runs down a dark stairwell, and here's the part that stick with me.

One of the killers leans over the railing and calls down after Fitzgerald, 'Hey there little rabbit, you down that rabbit hole?'

Yes, that's it. No, his leaning over the railing did not lead to an immediate or memorable death by strangulation from Spawn's cape and/or chains**. No, I don't have any idea why that stays with me.

* I did actually start reading, buying even, Spawn at a later date, and kept going for about 3 years. I may get into that someday, assuming I can piece together what I my thinking at the time.

** He did die, and Spawn did kill him, just not at that particular juncture.

No comments: