Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Well, That Plan Got Shot To Hell

Comics did not arrive. I had this nice little plan where I had to go into town for laundry, and I'd just stop by the post office, pick up my comics, and read them while I did my laundry. Not happening now I guess. There's always a spanner in the works, a monkey in the wrench.

So, for today, I will pose this question: In the DC Universe, just prior to Final Crisis and Batman RIP*, what is Batman's opinion towards Superman? Does he consider him a friend, or just an ally? Does he regard Superman as a bit of a fool, as someone not doing all the could with their power, or is Superman someone that gives Batman hope?

Your thoughts?

* Since those throw Batman's status somewhat into an unknown territory.

3 comments:

Jason said...

I believe that Batman considers Superman to be his best friend, though he's loathe to admit it. He sees that Superman is what he wishes he could be and is probably a little jealous of him, since though he has a tragic past as well, that was not what catapulted him to being a hero. Whereas Bruce "needed" his parent's murder to become Batman.

SallyP said...

Since Batman has actually become a bit LESS dickish lately, I'd have to say that he regards Superman as his friend. Probably more so than anyone else in the Justice League anyway, although I always got the impression that he liked Barry too.

Bats doesn't like too many people outside of his own little circle, but I think that Superman is one of them.

Seangreyson said...

My DCU knowledge is mostly based on reading trades of the major events, so I'm a couple years out of date, plus reading Supergirl.

However my impression has been that for the last few years the two have been best friends but don't really know how to be friends other than super-hero team ups.

You never see an issue where Bruce and Clark go out to a ball game, or even get a beer somewhere together. They meet in the Cave, the Watchtower, or some other location and plan how to handle one "Crisis" or another.

Part of that's their whole commitment to their secret identities. The other part is probably just the fact that neither of them seems to know what to do with any real life. Then some of it is probably just the DCU (none of their characters ever really seem to do that much fun, non-superhero stuff). No Justice League softball games for them.