Tuesday, August 18, 2009

The More The I Hear About Him, The Less I Like Him

The statement above neatly sums up my feelings about both Brett Favre, and Hal Jordan. It isn't necessarily their fault; with Favre I'm mostly annoyed that he gets all this ridiculous leeway when he's been a mediocre or worse QB 3 out of the last 4 seasons. He's Jake Plummer with a marginally better arm! Yet coaches make these allowances for him, and now we've Ron Jaworski claiming Favre makes the Vikings the NFC's best team. Really, the guy that completely wore down at the end of the season last year, and is now a whole year older, and do we have any idea if he's in shape to play? But oh yeah, forget the Giants, Eagles, Panthers, Falcons, Buccaneers, Cardinals, none of those teams have the incomparable Pick Master on their team, so they are doomed to fall before the old Gunslinger. Pardon me for not quaking in my boots, but if this was Unforgiven, Favre would be more English Bob than William Munny.

With Hal, again, it may not be the character's fault. I was indifferent to him for a long time. Read a couple of his Silver Age adventures, they were OK. He went crazy, destroyed the Corps, then tried to recreate the universe? Eh, whatever. Gave his life restarting the sun? Well, that's a nice redemptive finish for him, good for him. Became the Spectre? Wait, we're hooking up the guy who went on a mad quest for more power, so he could make things how he wanted them, with the Spirit of Vengeance, one of the most powerful beings around? This seems ill-advised*. But he was just sort of there on the edge of my comic awareness, not interfering with my enjoyment of stuff, so no big deal.

Somehow, though, the more things seem to revolve around him, whether he's rounding up a team because he cries for justice, or it seems that every freaking one of these different Corps want him as part of the group, the more irritated I get with him. Maybe if he'd go away for awhile I'd better remember the good times. If I could think of one now, I'd mention it.

* Dying restarting the sun wasn't enough to redeem him? It feels like something out Angel, where the characters never stop paying for their past mistakes, they'll never balance the scales, which is horribly depressing.

5 comments:

tavella said...

Much the same feeling for me, on Hal Jordan. I didn't particularly object to him being resurrected, but the degree to which the entire GL mythos started to revolve around him being the only important thing, with everyone else there just to be shown up or saved by him made me give up even on GLC.

tavella said...

Grumble. Wish blogger had an edit function.

CalvinPitt said...

tavella: I wonder if I'd feel different if it was a GL I felt more interest in (say Kyle or Guy) garnering all this attention?

I'd like to think eventually I'd decide "OK, this is going overboard, they aren't that great.", but more likely I'd be thinking it was about time these writers realized how awesome the character was.

SallyP said...

Hal does seem to have this bad habit of somehow getting all the attention. I don't think he can help it.

CalvinPitt said...

sallyp: Maybe he uses Axe Effect for Intergalactic Space Alliances?

Or it's his ring's fault, acting out his subconscious desires the way Kyle's ring did stuff while he was asleep! Kyle's ring did that, right?