Friday, April 23, 2010

Reconsidering The Prince Of Orphans

This feels like something I would have posted last year, but I can't find any evidence that I did, so great, content for today.

It's related to Immortal Weapons #5, the issue focusing on the Prince of Orphans. When I read the story, I had the impression that John Aman travels the world dealing with various threats that have outlived their creators, or possibly just forgotten. The dragon that was somehow smuggled out of K'un-Lun, the army of angry ghost soldiers out for revenge, things like that. The people responsible for these threats are dead and gone, but the threat remains. Orphaned, in a sense. I figured that was what Aman's title referred to.

Yesterday I thought about how he brought Danny Rand along with him on that mission, offered advice for fighting the dragon, and spent some time afterward meditating with him. His comments to Danny gave me the impression he'd done this with the other Immortal Weapons as well. It occurred to me, Danny's parents died on the trip that brought him to K'un-Lun. He's an orphan. Fat Cobra's mother died giving birth to him, and his father left him at an orphanage, rather than try to feed him. The mother of Tiger's Beautiful Daughter died when she was young, and when she learned her true heritage, I think she essentially disowned her father. Dog Brother #1 is definitely an orphan, because he had to be lost for his predecessor to find him. I don't know about the Bride of Nine Spiders, except that her predecessor probably died of her wounds from that fight she had before returning to her city at the start of Immortal Weapons #2.

So now I'm wondering if this is common for Immortal Weapons, and this mentor role is something naturally filled by Aman and his predecessors, or if it's a trait peculiar only to John Aman. Something about the man, rather than the title he holds in his city.

No comments: