Monday, April 19, 2010

So Nova's In Secret Avengers

What do you think?

Brubaker seems aware of the idea Rich isn't necessarily going to fit for every mission the group undertakes, so he's going to be used on a case by case basis. That makes sense. Before I read the recap of his comments on Comic Book Resources, I was wondering how Nova would fit. Although, if Rich can keep the Worldmind in the loop while he's on Earth, it could be handy for infiltrating vital information systems. I can't imagine there are too many computer safeguards that could hold up against the Worldmind.

It sounds as though Nova will be the "big gun" of the team, called in when they have a really big threat. Perhaps similar to how Busiek frequently used Thor for his Avengers' work. It's encouraging, because I was afraid he might get nerfed. He still might, but it sounds as though there's recognition that Nova's one of the most powerful heroes on Earth. When he's on Earth, anyway.

I'll be curious to see the difference in the threats the team faces w/Nova vs. without. Will it be a matter of power, or will Nova be called in for anything extraterrestrial in nature? Are the team's activities focused on Earth, or will they try and meet incoming threats away from home? Will Nova be calling them in on some of his work?

Also, what's Nova's standing with the team going to be? He's been doing the hero thing for a shorter amount of time than several of his team members*, and most of them have been on more high-profile teams than him. At the same time, Nova's been up to his neck in crazy "the universe is about to die" stuff for the last couple years, but nobody on Earth realizes it. I know Steve Rogers will respect him, because he's Steve Rogers, but hopefully the rest aren't going to treat him like some relative rookie.

I guess I'll be adding this to my pull list, eventually. I still wish they'd paired Brubaker with either Immonen or Romita Jr., and put Deodato on one of Bendis' books, but it's not a perfect world, and Deodato's done work I enjoyed in the past. I would have added the book already if Marvel hadn't been cagey about who was on the team for the first two issues**. I'll have to decide whether to try and grab spare copies of the first two issues, or wait for the first trade.

* Steve Rogers, Black Widow, Sharon Carter, Beast, for certain. I'm not sure about Valkyrie, since I'm not sure which Val this is. Brubaker's comments suggest it's the one Moon Knight worked with briefly on the Defenders, who would have seniority, but I thought Busiek and Larsen said she went back to Valhalla, and there was a different Val running around. I'm pretty sure Nova has Jim Rhodes and Moon Knight beat, but they both saw combat long before they became costumed types, so that might offset. The only one I'm positive he has service time over is the Irredeemable Ant-Man.

** I like Brubaker, but on his own, not enough to get me to buy a title. Pairing him with Deodato wasn't enough either. The roster was what clinched it.

No comments: