Thursday, July 15, 2010

Making Requests Again

I'm not planning on buying Shadowlands, so I suppose it doesn't matter, but I think it'd be swell if at some point during the story, Spider-Man kicked Daredevil's butt. In my mind, I see him fighting his way through about 50 ninjas (well, a big swarm of them, it doesn't have to be 50), then fighting Daredevil and trouncing him convincingly.

I know, I know. Beating Matt Murdock to a pulp isn't likely to make him realize the error of his recent ways*. So Spidey beats him up, then they talk things out over coffee, eggs, and hash at some diner. It could even become a beautiful, sunshiny day as they talk, telling us Murdock's finally leaving the dank, depressing hole (so dark even his radar sense couldn't keep him going in the right direction) the writers have kept his life in for the last, what, 7, 10, 25 years? OK, that's a bit much. Besides, we all know Murdock's life is never going to start looking up. Unfortunate, but that's how the winds blow.

I recognize that given the disparity in their power, Spider-Man beating Daredevil in a fight would be a "dog bites man" story. Except it always seems to go the other way, to the point one might start to forget that yes, dogs can bite men. I know I have three different stories where Spider-Man gets beat. Each story tells us Daredevil barely wins (or manages a stalemate), and he usually takes advantage of Spider-Man's temper to get him swinging wild, but I'd think Spider-Man could manage the outright win at some point.

It could even have significance attached to it, if one were so inclined. Have Spider-Man keep up his usual running commentary of annoying jokes and retorts while he fights a grimmer than normal Daredevil who throws ninja hordes at Spider-Man, rather than settling things himself. Both characters have been through a lot recently. Spidey's been stuck in this Gauntlet/Grim Hunt mess, plus that previous year (or however long) Osborn was practically running things had to be stressful. Daredevil, well his life has basically been hell for quite some time now. He gets a happy moment here and there, then someone dies, or goes crazy, or Bullseye blows up a building of civilians, or Wilson Fisk avoids jail again. It could be framed Daredevil finally broke under the stress, forgot who he was, and Spider-Man didn't, and the belief Spider-Man would have in himself would make the difference.

Just throwing it out there. I'm leaving town for about a week. New post next Wednesday, I think. I hope wherever you are, it's less sticky than where I am. If it's more sticky, get out of there, the air is glue.

* This assumes this whole thing isn't some master plan on his part to get the upper echelon of the Hand to leave themselves vulnerable by letting them think they're manipulating Murdock. Even if that's true, I think the other heroes might want to talk to Daredevil about his methods. Constructing his own underground prison is a bit questionable. At least it isn't in the Negative Zone.

No comments: