Thursday, January 06, 2011

What I Bought 1/5/2011

It's the first Reporting on Marvels and Legends comic review post of 2011! Isn't that awesome and wonderfully momentous? No? Yeah, you're right. It's going to be a fairly large post anyway, since there are two books from last year in the mix. I'm still having trouble figuring out what's shipping, though. Marvel and DC's websites said to except Heroes for Hire and Secret Six, and I think some people in other places did get them, but the store here didn't. I don't know what that's about, they'll probably be in next week. It's not a bad thing in this case, since it spreads my books out a little more. I'd hate to have 7 comics this week, and 4 the next weeks. Too unbalanced.

Action Comics #896 - And this, kids, is evidence for the "I should trust my first instinct" camp (She-Hulks would be evidence for the opposing camp). Jack didn't put this in my box while I was away, and when I saw it on the shelf I told myself I didn't need to buy it, reviews had been lukewarm (from the viewpoint of a Secret Six reader), just let it pass. Then I talked myself into buying it. Idiot.

The Six try to protect Lex from Vandal Savage and his armed goons. Vandal wants Lex to do something that'll make Vandal happy, though neither has any idea what that might be. There's some stuff with the Lois robot that I'm sure is part of Cornell's larger storyarc, which meant doodley-squat to me (though the use of footnotes pointing to relevant issues was nice). The only part that was interesting to me was the interactions between Scandal and Vandal. I haven't read the Secret Six mini, so I thought they hated each other, but Vandal still seems to care about her a lot. He's just frustrated she doesn't care about what he wants her to do. There's a little of the Cass Cain/David Cain relationship there, though I think David Cain made more attempts to get in Cass' good graces.

The problem here was most of the Six felt extraneous. It didn't seem like Catman or Jeanette served any purpose, or most anyone other than Scandal, really. I get it's Lex' book, but I wasn't reading it for him (which goes back to why I should have trusted my first instinct). I don't know what it is precisely, but Catman's dialogue never sounds right in my head when it's written by anyone other than Gail Simone. Not that he said much here, but still, it felt off.

Also, the art provides a pretty good example of the importance of inkers and colorists. Because I used to love Pete Woods' work on Robin, but I'm not loving it here. Part of it's Brad Anderson's colors are weaker than Noelle Giddings' were back then. Also, Woods is inking his own work now, and there's not as much use of shadow as there was with Andrew Pepoy on inks, which added to the expressiveness of the work. I think Pepoy's inks gave Woods art more heft, so characters stood out more from their backgrounds.

Avengers Academy #6 - If I talk that much about every comic, we'll be here until 2012. The last time I did this, I mentioned seeing a copy of this sitting out, but not taking it because I wasn't sure who it was for. Turns out it was for me.

For the record, the solicitation was bull ( big surprise) as Reptil didn't go Jurassic on Tigra. He did go Jurassic on Mentallo though, which is a better idea. The issue is about Reptil being named leader of his fellow Academy members, and trying to take steps to keep his teammates on the hero path, rather than slipping onto the villain path (since they know that's what their teachers are worried about). Humberto's dealing with his own insecurities, though, and tries to deal with them in the Man Code approved way - by trying to refuse to acknowledge them. Which doesn't particularly work out.

This issue gave me a little better idea about the personalities of some of the Academy members, Reptil and Finesse primarily, though I think I've got a bead on Striker from the brief bit with him during the press conference. I was surprised to see Gage bring up Hawkeye and Jan's fling, since that was (I thought) a Chuck Austen thing, and I figured most of that had been swept under the rug. I mean, I don't dislike that run (because I'm one of the five people who liked Kelsey Leigh), but even I'd cheerfully sweep that relationship under the rug. I guess everything is fair game.

Batman Beyond #1 - I'm not sure about this cover theme DC's doing this month. For example, that's a nice illustration Dustin Nguyen did of Batman there, but it's not terribly engaging. Ooh, a character against a white backdrop! How exciting! I know the idea of covers that tell you about what's going on in the issue are pretty much dead at Marvel and DC, but that doesn't mean that's a good development. On to the story.

It's a few weeks after the conclusion of the Batman Beyond mini-series. Terry's actually making time for Dana and his family, because Gotham's been fairly quiet on the crime front. That can't last, so a disgruntled Justice League employee tries to steal an old villain weapon, it reacts oddly with some toxins in his body, he absorbs the weapon and the power, and goes on the run, winding up in a Gotham mall, where he takes hostages, including Terry's family. Now Terry's going to try and handle the situation before the JL go barging in, getting hostages killed (which Warhawk seems fairly blase about, like the feds from Die Hard).

Something I like about the writing. Beechen seems like he's going to try and build up the GCPD in this series. It won't just be Commissioner Gordon, as he introduced a Detective Bullock in the mini-series, and now a tac squad leader named Myrick. I think it's a good idea, but I'm fond of substantial supporting casts in solo books, and since Batbooks have tended towards colorful casts of characters in law enforcement over the last few decades, why not in this book, too?

About the art. I don't know whether it's Ryan Benjamin, or inker John Stanisci, but I feel like the art's simplified some from the mini-series. Less unnecessary lines on character's faces. Could just be that there were fewer panels with old characters (like Old Man Bruce or Waller) in this issue, but even Terry looks a little different. Maybe it's a time-saver, now that this is an ongoing, and presumably they'd like to keep the same art team, or it was just a change Benjamin and Stanisci felt like making, but I'm fine with it. The expressiveness and clarity of the work certainly weren't hurt any.

She-Hulks #3 - The Red Ghost and his apes cause a little more trouble, but are thrown in the Gamma Base prison. The Wizard offers up a potential location for the Mad Thinker and Klaw, and the She-Hulks head off to corral them. Things don't go quite as planned, and as is common with superheroes in mountainous regions, an avalanche is induced. In between the punching, Lyra tries to deal with popular snobby girl Amelia knowing she's a She-Hulk, gets asked to come to the prom (which I'm betting is going to result in some attempt at humiliation by Amelia and her friends, because I have no confidence in the kindness of high school kids), and Bruce and Jen argue about Lyra. Sure, now Bruce wants to get involved in his daughter's life.

I'm still really enjoying this. Jen interacting with Lyra, still trying to figure out the mentor thing, defending her from Bruce, and of course the punching of villains. That's always good. I'm with the Wizard, on being a little surprised at Jen just arbitrarily zapping the Red Ghost. I understand she didn't enjoy her time imprisoned by the Intelligencia, but I'm still leery about the heroes adopting villain tactics. I don't know if Wilcox will have a chance to really address how Jen's adjusting after whatever she experienced as a prisoner. We've seen a little of it. Love Ryan Stegman's art (my minor complaint about Jen probably needing some more musculature aside). Once again, he outfitted them with climate appropriate wear for a mission, and I laughed at the page where the Hulk catches their jet and Lyra's smooshed up against the windshield. That's a pretty strong windshield, that she didn't go flying through it.

Thanos Imperative: Devastation - So Blastaart reverts to type and launches an attack against the Kree before the dust has even settled from the Cancerverse battle. Fortunately, Cosmo's been carrying out Star-Lord's last wish, and has assembled a team of top-flight butt kickers to deal with such problems, which they do. Now for their next problem, the Dire Wraiths. Which, of course means SpaceKnights. Whoo! Not Rom, though. Yet. Maybe someday.

I really hope we aren't going to find out Cosmo mentally manipulated anyone into joining the team, like Star-Lord had Mantis do. Not that I'm sure Cosmo could do that to the Surfer, but if he's determined enough to carry out Quil''s request, I have to wonder. I know that Cosmo and Quill are right about the team he originally put together being misfits and second-stringers, but damnit, I liked those misfits and second-stringers! Abnett, Lanning (and Giffen with the Star-Lord mini-series) made me care about Manits, for goodness sakes! Anyway, it really seems like Cosmo's put together (we will, out of deference to Ronan, avoid use of the word "assembled") the Defenders. Bunch of strong-willed heavy hitters used to working alone. We shall see how this goes.

Miguel Sepulveda's the artist, and it's still OK. There's something about the coloring I don't like, maybe that the colors are too subdued, too many pleasant blues. I know the Blastaar attack isn't a problem on the scale on the Cancerverse, but I think the colors helped sell the direness of that struggle a little better. There's something about Sepulveda's faces I don't care for, like they're based on someone, but not a Land-style straight copy. it makes them look strange, and not really carry the emotions they're trying to convey. I can't explain it better, and that explanation is practically useless.

Starting tomorrow, the Year in Review posts. I expect those to run for about 5 days, by which time we'll almost be back around to new comic reviews.

No comments: