Saturday, November 26, 2011

Again I Consider My Pull List

Question for the audience. Do you think Rick Remender on Secret Avengers is going to be worth buying? I was going to try the series originally, but Brubaker kind of punked out Nova for the first story arc, I'm not really a big fan of Deodato's art*, and I tend to find Brubaker's pacing pretty slow, so, yeah. Then there was the 4 dollars per issue aspect.

People seem to like Remender's X-Force work, which is encouraging, since it indicates he can write an good team book, unlike certain people Marvel handed the keys to the Avengers kingdom. And they're pairing him with Gabriel Hardman! That's a good sign. The book's still 4 dollars an issue, but I wasn't planning to let that stop me from trying Defenders. It isn't as though I have some major affection for Fraction's work, outside of Immortal Iron Fist, which was a collaborative writing project (David Aja on the art chores didn't hurt, either). Remender's not coming off writing a complete dud of a Big Event comic, either, for what that's worth**.

* I don't hate his work, it has its moments. That issue of Moon Knight he did a couple years ago, with Werewolf by Night? That was pretty good, and with the way he uses shadows (or the way his inkers do), he's suited for those sort of dark, spooky, stories. But his women seem to have their hips permanently locked in the "sway" position, which is a little distracting.

** It's amazing, I think Fear Itself had a more negative response than any of Marvel's other Big Events. Even Civil War has its supporters out there, as terrifying as that is to contemplate.

2 comments:

tavella said...

Thing about Fear Itself was that I couldn't really figure out what it was about. Most of Marvel's other events have had nice punchy hooks, even if you aren't following the comics. "Cap and Tony break up, badly." "Hulk gets mad, invades earth." "Skulls invade earth." "Norman Osborne loses it in a big way."

CalvinPitt said...

tavella: That's true. I thought the idea originally was "Overwhelming fear grips world, heroes counteract by being inspiring", but it turned out to be more about one bunch of gods being pissed at another bunch, and taking it out on Earth (I think).

That doesn't even factor in the Red Skull's daughter being the one who kickstarted the whole thing.