Friday, November 11, 2011

What I Bought 11/9/2011 - Part 2

Today I'm taking a trip outside the Marvel/DC stuff. I still don't have any of the issues of Atomic Robo: Ghost of Station X (sad face), but I'm hoping those will show up in the next shipment. Really hoping I don't regret picking up Robo in singles, rather than waiting for trades.

Angel & Faith #2, 3 - The first issue is another thing I'm hoping will be in the next shipment. I went for this because even though I didn't pay too much attention to Buffy Season 8, I still like Faith, and I have a certain amount of trust in Christos Gage. The gist is Angel was controlled by outside forces during Season 8, and did lots of bad stuff, including killing Giles. So he's going to try and fix things now, and Faith is trying to help, because she feels she owes Angel. This while also trying to ride herd on a bunch of Slayers in England, who don't know she's also helping the one who killed Giles. Which will almost certainly cause misunderstandings later.

Angel's current "fix things" plan is to find a source of Mohra demon blood, because he thinks that could resurrect Giles, since it once made him human, instead of a vampire. Faith knows this is the wrong way to be going about things, but isn't sure how to get Angel to see that. As she turns that problem over in her head, they work at finding out where an underworld (in both senses of the term) player is getting his Mohra blood from. There's much killing of demons, trashing of bars, talking to experts, and attempting of undercover work.

I went into this wondering if I'd regret it, but I'm pleasantly surprised. Maybe it's all the fight scenes, or maybe it's all the decompressed stuff I read these days, but I think Gage had a lot going on storywise, and I like the situation he's placed Faith in. Since her character is the primary reason I'm writing this book, the fact he's doing interesting stuff with her is a major plus. Also, he gets across enough information I didn't feel lost. Like, I don't know precisely who Pearl and Nash are, but Gage makes sure I know enough. They worked with Angel at some point, he betrayed them, they don't like Angel, and the feeling is mutual. If there's more that's relevant, it'll come out as things go along. Rebekah Isaacs is the artist, and I like the work done so far. Angel and Faith look recognizably like Boreanaz and Dushku, not just in physical appearance, but also in expressions and posture. I could see the actors sporting those same looks if this were an episode on TV.

So yes, thus far I'm very pleased with the decision to buy this title.

Darkwing Duck #17 - I haven't read Ducktales 5, so I'm coming into this a little blind. The basic are that inklike substance that briefly turned DW and Launchpad against each other has covered most of St. Canard, leaving only the main casts of the two books to try and fix the mess. DW, Scrooge, and Gyro (who created the Gizmoduck armor, though I have no clue why he's here) head for Quackwerks, figuring that's where Magica is at. And they're right, though most of Darkwing's arch-foes are there too, as well as Gizmoduck. I don't know where he's been, either, or how the suit got put back together.

Meanwhile, Launchpad and the kids are trying to find the source of the strange substance, which leads to disaster for Huey, Dewey, and Louie. Also, Launchpad's distressed because Darkwing and Scrooge aren't getting along, and what if he has to choose between his friends? I can relate. I had friends who from elementary school up through high school, didn't like each other, but both got along fine with me. It was always depressing, because I wasn't sure if we could all hang out together without things turning ugly.

The story's hopping back over to Ducktales, before wrapping up in Darkwing 18. While I can follow the general arc of the story without the first chapter, there's enough little things I don't know, that I think I'll be looking into picking up those other chapters. Maybe they have the answers, maybe they don't, but it's worth a looksee. James Silvani's doing his usual excellent work on the art. I especially like the panel of Darkwing puffing away smoke from the end of his gas gun while commenting that he knows a thing or two about picking his battles. He's oozing confidence. Or is it arrogance? Thin line.

Tomorrow, Marvel ongoing series stuff!

No comments: