Tuesday, August 07, 2012

What I Bought 8/3/2012 - Part 2

Moving on to the first issue of a new series, and an old standby. Or what qualifies for an old standby on my pull list these days.
Captain Marvel #1 by, Kelly Sue DeConnick (writer), Dexter Soy (artist), Joe Caramagna (letters) - Quite a contrast between interior and exterior artists.

I know Monica Rambeau isn't relevant to the story DeConnick wants to tell, but I'm a little annoyed she gets no mention amongst all this stuff about taking the title "Captain Marvel". It just bugs me in that things do. Not as much as the art, which seems too heavily inked and isn't helped by the coloring, which is too murky and subdued. Shouldn't a book like this, which seems as though it's going to deal with high-flying pilots and whatnot, be bright and flashy? I preferred the flashback sequencess which I think were going for a sort of sepia-tone, but weren't so muddied as a result.

As to the writing, DeConnick writes some excellent character interaction. Especially between Steve Rogers and Carol. I like it when people show Cap has a sense of humor. He's serious when he needs to be, but he's not a stick in the mud. That's Scott Summers, people. All the stuff about Carol looking up to Helen Cobb and wanting to break her records, it didn't really have much impact on me as a reader, but I don't have any problem with it. I assume DeConnick plans to do something interesting with it. She'll have to, because this is a book where the wrtiting will have to carry the day. Like Green Arrow that way.

Daredevil #15 by, Mark Waid (writer), Chris Samnee (artist), Javier Rodriguez (color art), Joe Caramagna (letters) - When his sense are working normally, how much do you think barbed wire hurts Matt? Actually, I'm impressed he can function anytime he experiences something painful. You'd think he'd want to pass out when he stubbed his toe. Though I suppose that wouldn't happen.

Matt's still in Latveria, and Doom wants his brain researched so they can understand the radar sense. Something like this would have to get him kicked out of that FF things, right? Or would Reed buy his plausible deniability? Or would Reed not care? I could see Reed Richards not caring. Anyway, things aren't going quite as the scientist expected, because Matt's brain is turning his senses on again, sort of. Not the radar sense, but he can see things he shouldn't be able to, like waves of energy that block communications, and he hears in color now. Or maybe that represents him sensing the emotion, if not the actual words? I'm not totally sure. At any rate, his senses are up and running enough for him to finally get through to the Avengers, and Iron Man shows up and saves his butt. Though his armor looks kind of silly. I'm not sure if it's how Samnee draws it, or just the design of the armor itself. I'm not a fan of the current design, honestly. I do like Matt placing a hand to his head and trying to get his new senses to work. Very "to me, my X-Men!" Also that look of confusion and maybe panic as DD scrambles up the roof while there are blasts going on all around him. You get the impression that with these current senses, it's more of risk than ever, and he may not even be totally sure of what's going on around him. Really sells the threat.

No comments: