Saturday, August 11, 2012

Will They Ever Work Together Again?

Reading Secret Avengers, the reanimated Rasputin (among others) made mention of the Abyss. And being the smart aleck I am, I wondered if that meant the living void from Dial H was going to make an appearance. Because that would be a pretty strange pair of books to do a Marvel/DC crossover with. But of course, there haven't been any of those in a few years. At one time, I recall hearing that the higher-ups at DC didn't care for Joe Quesada (possibly because of all the potshots he liked to take at them), and so there would be no more crossovers until he was gone. I don't know if that's the real reason or not, but it sounds plausible. The comics industry seems rife with people who make decisions based on such stupid, petty bullshit.

OK, that's hardly limited to the comics industry.

I was thinking, do you think being owned by larger companies (Time/Warner for DC, Disney for Marvel), would make crossovers more likely or less? I'd presume those executive muckety-mucks wouldn't care about any beefs the comic folk have with each other (assuming they care about the comics whatsoever, which they may not), but they could very easily have their own gripes with the executive muckety-mucks on the other side. I could see there being more licensing issues, where there might be questions of who gets publishing credit or whatever, but there might also be more people who would see it as potentially lucrative to get Superman and Spider-Man teaming up again, or whatever.

I'm not particularly clamoring for a crossover, I'm just curious whether people think it's more likely now, or less.

No comments: