Monday, December 17, 2012

And Comics Came The Day After I Left For The Week

Conversation between my father and myself, as I drive down the highway:

Dad: Does your cruise still work?
Me: I never use my cruise.
Dad: I know, that's why I'm asking.
Me: Well then how would I know?

It does still work, by the way. I find it damned unnatural, that extra bit of control I'm sacrificing to the car. I imagine people who know how to drive stick shifts feel the same about automatic transmissions.

It's been a week on the road, visiting friends and family. Things were largely peaceful at my dad's, except there's something wrong with his stove, so no pleasant fire in the living room at night. Charlie's become much calmer than he used to be, which was a pleasant surprise. He'll sit calmly in the living room for more than five seconds now. Unfortunately, Lacey has taken advantage of this to seize the title of "Most Annoying Dog", and she works quite hard to live up to it.

Thursday through Saturday were spent with Alex, which meant one thing after another. He played in two shows, one on Thursday, the other on Saturday in StL. The first one was a charity event for World Hoop Day. Which I'd never heard of, but they raise money to buy presents for kids who don't get any toys for Christmas apparently. Good turnout, Alex had a great set, real crowd pleaser. Saturday was Wompin' 3, the same show that was shut down two years ago for being several hundred people over capacity. And because drunk people shouted "Fuck the police", and cops don't appreciate that. Larger venue, so no such issue this time. However, the second stage was downstairs and a private party had booked it until right before the show started. Naturally they all decided to stay around and chat when they needed to get lost, so the first act got delayed. Also, it's not a good room for. The ceiling is so low the music is too loud (even with ear plugs), and there's no ventilation. Get more than 12 people jumping around, and it gets far too hot. This problem was solved by the speakers blowing out a few minutes into the set of the guy after Alex (who went second). Other than that, it was a good show, I guess.

Let's see, Thursday had a meteor shower and Alex demonstrating how bad he is at giving directions. Friday we helped a guy move to Bloomington, IL, where he'll set up an art gallery if the contractors finish renovating on time. We left one bar there because the DJ was lousy and they told Alex and J to straighten their caps. Because caps tilted to the side spark fights or something. I was designated driver 3 nights in a row, and Saturday night included dropping off a guy at the airport, who was badly wasted. Because that's the condition you need to be in to go through security these days. He made it through, apparently, but fell asleep and missed his flight. All the designated driving is enough to make me consider taking up drinking just to get out of it. But then I'd have to trust other people to stay sober and drive me around, and I don't trust any of the people I drive to do that. I'm not sure I'd trust them to drive my car sober.

Estimated time I fell asleep those three nights: 3:30, 2:30, 6:30. I really resented that last one since Alex was riding shotgun snoring, and the sky was just starting to brighten up as we pulled up to his house. Plus, my body only let me sleep to 10 before it woke me up.

I spent Sunday in sort of a haze. I was more alert than I thought I'd be, but I was also more chatty than usual, and the world seemed too bright sometimes. And now I'm back, trying to get into my routine again. So far it's a work in progress.

No comments: