Wednesday, August 21, 2013

Cap's Trip Home Is Where We Part Ways

I mentioned yesterday I'm going to drop Captain America. October will be the end. Cap returning to Earth and fighting Nuke seems like as good a time as any to cut bait. Not really what I signed on for, especially Nuke. Didn't Jeff Parker turn him into Scourge in his Thunderbolts run?

I never did get what I wanted out of the book. I wanted the focus to be on Steve surviving in an alien world, meeting new people, new settings, new threats. If Zola had to be the trigger, have him dump Steve in some random dimension and forget about him. Take what samples he wants of Rogers' DNA, then open a portal to wherever and chuck him in. Even if Sharon Carter or the Avengers track Zola down, he can't tell them where Steve is for certain.

In the meantime, Steve is on his own, trying to survive, helping people where he can, but recognizing he's in a situation where he doesn't understand all the rules. Remender and Romita Jr. did a little of that early on with the Phrox, but the focus was ultimately on Zola. Because he was always there, he was always the focal point for Steve. If there's no sign of him, then Steve has to find some other way of getting home, and the antagonist can be whatever you'd like. I guess I was curious to see a world strictly of their creation.

Oh well, maybe next time.

No comments: