Tuesday, October 15, 2013

The Problem With Horror Movies Is There Are So Many Terrible Ones

I had three or four other things I was thinking about posting, but I'm going to rant about The Mist instead. I read the Stephen King novella the movie is based on some time years ago, long before the film was released. I remember it as being pretty good, not great, but entertaining. I also remembered reading a review of the film that complained about the horribly depressing ending, so I was at least prepared for it.

I haven't done this in awhile, but SPOILERS!

I don't understand why everyone in the Land Cruiser so quickly opted to commit suicide. The moment it ran out of gas they decided to kill themselves. Cripes, at least wait until you're being menaced by something, then kill yourself. But for the military to show up less than 5 minutes after, what is the point of that cosmic nutpunch? At that point, I was surprised that all the people from the supermarket weren't in one of the trucks that rumbled by Thomas Jane as he stood there dumbfounded. Why not? Just completely screw him over for deciding not to stay with the idiots who fell under the murderous sway of the religious nutjob. The whole crew was watching it and there was not one person who thought that was a good ending. Honestly, what was the point?

As to said religious nutjob, she was so incredibly irritating. The single best moment in the movie was the old lady chucking a can of beans at religious wackadoodle and getting her right in the face. I could have watched that scene all day. Or the scene where she got shot in the face after demanding they sacrifice a kid. I could have also watched the lady who called them murderers for that get shot in the face all day. What did she butcher guy stabbing a person repeatedly in the gut, then throwing him to the mist creatures was? I know, human capacity for denial, self-deception, that remarkable ability we have to justify our own terrible actions while condemning similar acts committed by others. I'm sure it's happened once, but I would like to see the person demanding a sacrifice to appease whoever offer themselves up for the sacrifice. After all, surely her God would approve of her giving her life to save all these sinners. But no, it's always someone else who has to pay. Another aspect of human nature, passing the buck.

Well surely watching Event Horizon tonight will wipe the stink away, right?

No comments: