Friday, May 08, 2015

There's A Fair Chance I Won't Buy Half The Books I'm Thinking About

By July, we'll be 3 months into Secret Wars, and 2 months into whatever DC's calling its post-Convergence line. As a result, there's a lot of books I might get, but I may change my mind entirely when the time comes.

In the safe world outside linewide hullabaloo, Descender and Roche Limit: Clandestiny continue. At DC, the Secret Six relaunch seems to have gone entirely off the rails. Issue 3 was originally supposed to ship before Convergence. Then it was delayed until June. Now issue 3 is going to be something entirely different, and issue 4 will have the story that was supposed to be in 3.

It might be time to write that book off, if you haven't already.

Outside of that, I haven't decided whether I'll pick up Batman Beyond or not, and now I'm having second thoughts about dropping Harley Quinn in favor of the Harley and Power Girl mini-series, considering she's about to meet that Popeye stand-in from Bronze Age Superman comics, Captain Strong. I don't think I can justify buying both, though. Maybe I can buy the mini-series in trade later. Good news is, Batman's appearance in Section Eight appears limited to one issue. But issue 2 is going to involve Green Lantern. Hmm, Garth Ennis writing GL. This could be hilarious, or abysmal.

On the Marvel side, Kamala finally gets to team-up with Carol Danvers, so high hopes for that story. I'm debating whether to buy the Spider-Island mini. Not out of any interest in that (sorry Christos Gage), but because that Spider-Girl story I was looking forward to is a backup feature in that mini-series. Crap.

Ant-Man's having an Annual, rather than a regular issue, and it features Scott teaming up with Pym. I have no idea what to expect from that, but between this, and the skip month they have listed for June or whenever, the book is getting a little wonky. The good news is, the Annual is at least by the regular creative team. Daredevil is down to its penultimate issue, Unbeatable Squirrel Girl rolls on, and there's going to be a Captain Britain and the Mighty Defenders series? mini-series? Who knows? I wouldn't normally pay it much mind - Brian Braddock has never done much for me - but Alan Davis is drawing it, and I've heard mostly good things about Al Ewing as a writer, so it's a possibility.

There's just a lot of uncertainty in it for me these days. What's worth my time (and more importantly, money), are these mini-series going to be any good. In Marvel's case, how much is being part of Secret Wars going to taint these books. This may be one of those times were not getting books the week they come out is a blessing. Because I have all of you to act like my food-testers, and tell me whether the truffles are poisoned or not.

4 comments:

SallyP said...

All I know is that I'm skipping the entire Secret Wars saga as much as possible. It sounds beyond depressing, and since comics are what I read for fun, I'm not all that interested in doom and gloom.

I have GOT to start getting Harley and Power Girl! Plus, Section Eight and Hal? Priceless!

CalvinPitt said...

I admit, I won't feel as bad for Hal being made fun of as I did for Kyle.

And you've probably got the right idea with Secret Wars. I have this horrible feelings I'll seriously regret any of those series I buy. I'm hoping, though, that the creative teams are free to just do their thing, using the setting of Battleworld, without having to deal with whatever Hickman will be up to. Fool's hope, most likely.

Sea-of-Green said...

*GASP?!?* Alan Davis is doing a new Captain Britain series?!?! I'm THERE! I am soooo THERE! Thanks for reporting on that, Cal. :-)

CalvinPitt said...

Sorry I didn't see your comment until now, Sea. One bit of bad news is I saw in the solicits for August it's only a 2-issue mini-series. Still, it's at least 2 issues of Alan Davis drawing Captain Britain.