Wednesday, August 19, 2015

31 Days of Scans - Day 24

Today is for Least Favorite Costume. Now, I want to emphasize that it's "least favorite", not "worst". There are countless costumes worse than the one I'm going to pick on here. The various female characters on the X-Men alone could fill a month of Sundays, depending on your sartorial preferences. Wonder Man had that god awful Christmas colored outfit for a stretch in West Coast Avengers (which would have bothered me more if Simon hadn't wound up in the role of "egotistical asshole" on the team, an impressive feat for a roster that had Tony Stark and Clint Barton). Then there were all the terrible "armored" outfits of the '90s: Captain America's, Daredevil's, that suit Ted Kord built for Booster, Azrael's Bat-suit I suppose (though there are certain artist who made that not look too bad to me).

But like I said, it's least favorite, and so I'm picking this, plainclothes, basic, whatever you want to call it look for Hawkeye. There's nothing distinctly awful about it. It's too simple for that. It's a t-shirt with a purple chevron on it and some sunglasses.

Which is the problem: It's dull. It would be a good outfit for someone trying to maintain a lower profile, but this is Clint Barton we're talking about. Low profile is not in his vocabulary. He's loud, he's boisterous, he's bragging and butting heads with people, demanding you notice him*. He was trained and spent a fair amount of his developmental years in a carnival, where the whole point is to draw attention, get eyeballs on you, butts in the seats.

Also, the old costumes are more practical, and sure, practicality is rarely my major concern with costumes, but I figure it's worth addressing. Clint is essentially a normal human. He doesn't have any enhanced resilience to injury, no healing factor or bulletproof skin. The older outfits offer protection from head injuries, though I suppose the sunglasses could be equipped to project a small repulsor field around his cranium. Clint's brash, but he isn't an idiot. A costume that has some sort of protection makes sense.

I will say I prefer the current outfit to the one from roughly Avengers #100, with the headband and the mini-skirt. That one's both ugly and impractical.

Clint demonstrates what I assume is proper bowman technique on a variant cover for Hawkeye #2 of the 2012 series, drawn and colored David Aja. The other two covers are from Clint's 2003 series. The first was penciled by Carlos Pacheco, inked by Jesus Merino, and colored by Frank D'Armata. The other was, well I'd swear that's Scott Kolins work, but the Grand Comics Database says Joe Bennett (who did do the interiors). If the GCD is right, Sandu Florea inked it, and Kickstart colored it. If it was Kolins, he inked it himself most likely.

* It might almost have made sense for that stint leading the Secret Avengers, except for the part where Venom and the Beast were both on the team, not to mention Captain Britain. Guy in a bright black-and-white living costume, big, blue furry guy, and a flying guy wearing a modified Union Jack does not exactly scream subtle. Oh yeah, and Valkyrie and her big, white flying horse.

5 comments:

SallyP said...

I could never quite figure out the whole skirt/loincloth thing.

CalvinPitt said...

Well, he started wearing it after he found an amnesiac Hercules in a traveling circus, right? Maybe he figured when in Rome, er Athens?

thekelvingreen said...

It is Kolins; there's a signature on the mid-left side of the picture to confirm it.

I think one reason for the more low-key costume of modern Hawkeye -- aside from the influence of the movies and the Ultimate version -- is that the series shows him taking more of a back seat as the other Hawkeye -- Kate Bishop from Young Avengers -- does the costumed adventuring thing.

I don't read many Marvel comics these days so I don't know if that reason is negated by Clint saving the world with the Avengers every two weeks, but that's the suggestion, anyway.

CalvinPitt said...

Kelvin, that's an angle I hadn't considered. It would definitely fit with Clint apparently being an old man after Secret Wars, since I'd presume that guy would have to dial back. Maybe. The old Clint from that Old Man Logan storyline is hanging out with Kate in Hawkeye, but the Clint in the A.I.M. book with Songbird, Sunspot, and Squirrel Girl looks like regular Clint. So I don't know what's going on, but I like your idea.

thekelvingreen said...

I should probably mention that I haven't been following the current continuity wrangles of Secret Wars so my theory only applies to the past couple of years of Hawkeye, not whatever's going on with him/them nowadays!