Friday, August 21, 2015

Would You Give Thanks For A Bunch Of First Issues?

November sees a continuation of Marvel's rollout of a bunch of restarted series, most of which I'm still not terribly interested in. Deadpool being the exception, as I'm curious to see what Duggan and Hawthorne do with a Deadpool that is as popular with the people of his world as he is with certain portions of comic fans in our world. Assuming the solicit isn't a joke.

Let's see, there's Venom: Space Knight. Yeah, that's what people were clamoring for. Venom fans - the poor, deluded fools - will buy it regardless of the title, but I can't see many fans of Rom being excited with this book. I'm a little surprised Peter Quill's going to be in the Star-Lord title, but Kitty Pryde's using that name in Guardians of Galaxy. Actually, the idea of Kitty taking a previously established identity, and being leader of an odd collection of heroes (including the Thing) was intriguing to me, but it's a team book written by Bendis, and there's no way I'm falling in that trap. It feels weird, I guess I'm not used to the idea of Star-Lord being a codename held by multiple characters, ala Green Lantern, or Flash. I think Quill's book is set in the past, so maybe it's more similar to how Carol Danvers used to be Ms. Marvel, and now Kamala is, but Carol's book isn't using her old codename. I can't be surprised at Marvel trying to eat their cake and have it too.

Oh, there's the Hercules book where Marvel's apparently ignoring any suggestion Herc isn't strictly heterosexual, even though I guess it's not consistent with the mythology. And I know Incredible Hercules at least acknowledged that aspect of the mythology as being true of Marvel's Herc as well. Although in the myths, isn't his male lover a young man? That was a running theme while he was hanging out with Amadeus Cho I thought, people assuming Cho was in a similar relationship with Herc. Which I know wasn't uncommon in Ancient Greece, but would raise some issues now. It doesn't preclude Hercules from having romantic relationships with adult men, so good luck with that, Dan Abnett*. Ms. Marvel's got her new #1, and it's 5 bucks. Brilliant. I may be waiting until mid-December to actually buy any of these books, get some beat up copies for marked down prices. By that I mean Ms. Marvel and Deadpool, I'm not buying any of those other titles, the price just reinforces that decision.

Stepping away from Marvel, Harley Quinn & Power Girl wraps up, Atomic Robo continues, and Descender resumes after a 2-month hiatus. I have to hope things will start to move a little faster on that one. One-Punch Man Volume 3 is coming out as well, though I really want another Yotsuba volume. It's been at least two years. What the hell, Azuma? Cater to my whims!

ComicMix is releasing a GrimJack Omnibus. I'm not clear on whether this is a re-release of the ones IDW did years ago, or a new version. It's not a big deal for me, since I own all the GrimJack already, but I felt like mentioning it. If you don't own it all, you should buy it. I think DC is finally releasing that second collection of Ostrander's Suicide Squad they solicited a few years ago, The Nightshade Odyssey. I have to agree with Caleb Mozzocco, it would be nice for DC to actually have some good Suicide Squad comics collected, assuming the movie succeeds in drumming up interest (and hopefully John Ostrander and Luke McDonnell see some cash from that. And this has that crossover with Justice League International where Captain Boomerang fights the cheerful, childlike brain-damaged Guy Gardner (also there's a pretty serious fistfight between Batman and Rick Flag.) Again, I have those issues, but if you don't, you should get that trade when it comes out. Only if you want. No pressure.

* I read a conversation somewhere with Abnett where he said he and Andy Lanning were done collaborating. The way he phrased it made me think they had a falling out, which made me sad. I know they'd hardly be the first creative partners to fall out, but I enjoyed their work together, it seemed they were a good team. Hopefully they're still at least friends.

1 comment:

SallyP said...

Yeah, there isn't a whole lot out there that looks interesting.