Thursday, October 26, 2017

Sketchtober Update - Almost There

As of yesterday, we're through Day 25. Which means I finished the XBox Top 5, and am moving into the PS2 list. With five systems worth of these behind me, there are certain trends emerging. There is always at least one, usually two, of the five that end up going poorly. The other three go reasonably well, if not perfectly, but there might be one that I'm really, really happy with. Day 5, definitely Day 7. I looked at it again a couple of nights ago and was actually happy with what I saw. Normally when I look at stuff I draw, I only see all the things I screwed up, which is exhausting.

Anyway, the N64. I mentioned last week, the first couple of nights went poorly. Things improved a bit Days 13-15, but nothing spectacular. I'm not showing you the Goldeneye sketch, it was not good.

Day 12, Legend of Zelda: The Ocarina of Time. Like I said, I can't draw horses. I really struggled trying to come up with an idea for this. Because every idea I thought of, I realized I already had a desktop wallpaper of it someone else did that looked way better than what I could manage. Dark Link fight? Got a wallpaper. Spin Attack? Got a wallpaper of that. Finally, I remembered the guy you give the Bunny mask to when you're a kid, who ends up being super-fast when you're an adult. And who does run with his head down like that. You can race him, although you don't see him running. He's waiting for you when you reach the finish, always a second ahead.

Day 13, Starfox 64. It was either the final battle with Andross, or something about the Starwolf fights. Drawing a giant brain and his mobile, laser-shooting eyes seemed less daunting than drawing a whole bunch of spaceships. I'm not good at mechanical stuff. For some reason, I tried doing the after-image effect for the Arwing. Went better than I expected. The real issue was I couldn't figure out how to depict the deflector shield the Arwing produces when you do a barrel roll. After a few trials, I settled on a sort of faint oval around it. It's not great, but it made more sense than any of the others.

Day 14, Super Smash Bros. Looking around online, now I'm not sure you could even fight Crazy Hand in this game. He may not have shown up until Melee. Whoops.  Too late now. The original idea was to do the picture as a split-screen of what you see. Each side was going to be from a perspective just behind one of the brothers shoulders. So, Luigi would be in the extreme foreground, then we'd see Mario's back and beyond the, Master Hand, and then do the same from behind Luigi. But I spent Saturday at Alex', so I had to do this and Day 15 in one day, and opted to simplify the hell out of it. Hmm, looking at it, things might have been starting to go off the rails. It's more than a little rushed, and I'm drawing smaller, which is what I default to when I'm feeling unsteady or rushed (the same's true of my handwriting, it naturally trends towards tiny).

Day 15, Resident Evil 2. Took me most of the day to figure out what to even draw. But that Tyrant was always a pain in the ass. I always remember him smashing through walls to get pursue me, although that only happened once. I think Claire's a little long in the torso, and I probably should angled her more. The Tyrant looks a little too casual, but he was one of those slow, relentless threats. You kill him, he gets back up and keeps coming after you. Not personal, just what he's designed to do. I do like the bullet impacts on him.

By the next time I do one of these, we'll be out of October. Will I be done with all 7 systems, though?

No comments: