Wednesday, October 25, 2017

Starting 2018 With More of the Same

The solicitations for 2018 are out, and there's not a lot of new action for me.

Dark Horse is continuing the Empowered story, with her and Sistah Spooky in Hell, drawn by Carla Speed McNeil. I also saw a trade for a mini-series called Blackout that sounded kind of cool. That came out back in 2014, so I'm a little late to the party there.

The third issue of the new Tick series is solicited. I must have missed the solicit for the second issue. Giant Days is focusing on Ed, Copperhead is probably wrapping up the next arc, and Atomic Robo rolls on. All of that is fine and good, glad to have it.

At DC, Booster Gold is showing up in Action Comics, if that's something you're interested in. There's at least one person who reads this blog who might be. Along those lines, they're releasing a trade of the Green Lantern Corps series, from the '80s, apparently focusing on a certain Guy Gardner. Again, I suspect this will be of interest to certain segments of the audience.

That DC is doing mini-series for Snagglepuss and Ruff & Reddy is just bizarre to me. They also just recently finished one mini-series starring the Teen Titan Raven (which is being released in trade in this set of solicits), and they're starting another, 12-issue mini-series for her in January. Drawn by Pop Mhan, whose work I liked on some of the early 2000s Bat-books. Will that be enough to draw me in? Eh, maybe, I don't know.

Over at Marvel, they're releasing a 12-issue mini-series about the Hawkeye from Old Man Logan's timeline. Because that's something I wanted to be reminded exists. They're releasing a bunch of new mini-series, of which Rogue and Gambit is the only one I find interesting. I haven't read Kelly Thompson's comic work, but it seems to get good reviews, and Pere Perez' artwork is fine. I might give it a whirl. Marvel's also wheeling out some 4-month, 16-issue weekly stretch of Avengers, where all the various Avengers squads team up to save the world.

Which I have to admit sounds pretty cool in theory. And by Marvel's standards, keeping it to one title, but apparently involving all those books creative teams, is remarkably restrained. It could be a huge mess, but it might be worth checking out. In trade, after the the trade drops significantly in price.

Deadpool's trying to settle some scores before he gets killed. I would really like for Deadpool to get to kill HYDRA Captain America. I might even offer to buy all 16 issues of the Avengers event thing if they did it.

Guardians of the Galaxy is bringing back Adam Warlock. Again. Booooooooooo, booooooooooo, booo Adam Warlock, booooooo. Just leave him in those GNs they keep letting Starlin write so the rest of us can live in peace. In more bad news, Squirrel Girl is stuck on Earth in her book, and probably will not be teaming up with Beta Ray Bill to rescue Nancy. So bummed out. There was also an X-Men Annual of sorts to reunite the old Excalibur cast, but Alan Davis is only drawing the cover, so nerts to that. Marc Guggenheim's writing doesn't do a whole lot for me, anyway.

Looking at the month overall, publishers which aren't Marvel or DC should be, combined, just about even with Marvel. Wouldn't expect that to last, but it might be part of a trend.

3 comments:

SallyP said...

Booster Gold is a good thing... although I haven't been reading much new stuff from DC lately. I HAVE all those old Green Lantern books, but a Trade is always a god idea for when I don't feel like dragging out the individual issues.

But yeah, it has been hard to get too excited about much of the new things on the horizon.

CalvinPitt said...

Sally, do you buy collections of things you own as single issues much? I think about it, 'cause I know there are advantages to having the trades. Easier to get to, like you said, bookshelves look nicer than longboxes for another. But I balk at the idea of buying something twice.

SallyP said...

Sometimes I do buy the collections, even though I already have the individual issues... which of course is stupid. But yeah, it is a lot easier to pluck one book off the shelf rather than go rooting in the boxes.

But I am too impatient to wait until the collections come out!

*sob*