Wednesday, February 13, 2019

Team Fight Etiquette


This is not a special midweek edition of Sunday Splash Page. When I got to this double-page splash in last months Unbeatable Squirrel Girl, the thing my eye was drawn to is in the upper right. Mar-Vell slamming a Skrull into Goliath's chest.

(I assume that's Hawkeye during one of his stints as Goliath. I hate when they have him ditch the arrows for size-changing powers. He has his own style, he doesn't need to be biting someone else's.)

We've all seen scenes in comics where someone is running from one character and crashes headfirst into another, more physically imposing character. Thor, Iron Man, the Thing, you get the idea. But that's with the character serving as the wall being in on the plan. Clint looks pretty busy grabbing Skrulls in the picture above, so I'm guessing Mar-Vell just decided when he got ahold of a Skrull to slam him into the nearest big object, which happened to be Clint.

Do you think that's a thing teammates discuss during meetings? I can't imagine everyone is OK with being used as an anvil. Clint strikes me as someone who would absolutely yell at Mar-Vell about that. Or about a lot of other stuff probably. Clint yells a lot.

You know some teammates would abuse the hell out of it. I could see Johnny Storm using Ben like that constantly, so he could make jokes about how he finally found something Ben's good for. Captain America would probably check ahead of time, because he's polite, and it's good to be clear on tactics. Iron Man wouldn't, because he'd have run scans to determine how their resilience at some point earlier, and would justify it by arguing necessity of the moment. Wolverine would rather just stab them, or be thrown at them. I don't see Spider-Man ramming people into stuff very often, but if he did, I could see him doing that just because he's so used to working alone. Doesn't normally have to worry about a teammate being in the way.

I'm guessing teammates who have size-changing powers get used to this. "Sorry Hank, I mistook you for a piece of modern art!" I'm sure some characters are cool with it. The Vision would be pretty chill, Superman would probably just be worried you injured them if you threw them too hard. Still, it would just be polite to ask, right?

1 comment:

SallyP said...

Oh, no doubt about it, Clint would piss and moan like nobody's business.