Tuesday, May 28, 2019

The Predator (2018)

I missed the beginning of the movie. By the time I started watching, the rogue Predator was already running amok in some facility full of crap the government or whoever it was had scavenged from past hunting trips.

I didn't think it was a very good movie. It feels like the kind of movie that does a lot of callbacks to the earlier films, but figures it's clever by twisting them. The third Terminator movie was really bad about that, too. The example that comes to mind is Boyd Holbrook's character asking the Predator "What the hell are you?" but then shooting it in the head before it can say anything. Probably a smart decision, but it felt like trying to be too clever. Why bother to ask if you're going to shoot it?

Like Tuco said, if you're going to shoot, shoot. Don't talk about it.

As far as the main character goes, I didn't think much of Holbrook. Any of the guys in his impromptu squad would have been more interesting. Maybe the parts of the film I missed would have changed my opinion, but McKenna's ability to get some of these guys to work with him and follow orders didn't seem earned.

The movie was interrupted by a severe weather warning right in the middle of the big fight scene. That was confusing. It was night, and Keegan-Michael Key was about to die, then when the movie comes back on, it's after sunrise and now there's a damn spaceship involved. I thought the whole bit with the spaceship, its forcefields and whatnot was overly complicated. That said, the very end of the fight, once they're back on the ground, wasn't bad. Nice demonstration of teamwork. Everyone getting to chip in and whittle the big guy down.

Most of the "Loonies" that end up helping McKenna have various forms of mental trauma from their past experiences. I wouldn't imagine the movie has a particularly nuanced take on PTSD, but I could be wrong. I'm no expert. I thought the friendship between Key and Thomas Jane was solid, the little bit I saw of it. The two of them trying to watch each others' backs, reassure each other when the strain would increase. Mostly through bullshitting and busting each others' chops, but everyone has their own approach.

2 comments:

SallyP said...

Tuco was...a wise man.

CalvinPitt said...

He was indeed. Not wise enough to know when to keep his mouth shut, but he's hardly the only one with that weakness.