Wednesday, June 17, 2020

Mocking Stark and Talking Language

I feel like I've never seen the word "bespoke" before this month. Certainly not in the way Tony's using it, to brag about how his suit is custom-made, unique, high-dollar, whatever. Besides this comic, I think I've seen it on Twitter somewhere recently. I figured it was a new word or meaning, recently created by the Gen Z population. Apparently this meaning of the word dates back to at least the 1700 or 1800s, though it only supposedly picked up in the U.S. in the last few decades. Go figure.

That fit for Tony Stark. Not only because he's absolutely the kind of person who brags about how he has the money to get specially-made outfits, and use it as a diss against someone who doesn't. Stark has more than a little Mean Girl in him, or maybe it's just Wealthy Frat Boy. "I say Hammer Industries, your bid presentation is almost as poorly put-together as your latest line of defense droids."

But also because Stark strikes me as the sort of adult who tries really hard to stay current on new slang and terms. Because it pays to be able to speak with the customer or labor pool on their terms, but also because Stark desperately wants to remain cool. "What's up, fellow teens?" And normally he can probably pull it off with what passes for his charm, and the fancy displays, and the high-quality whatever (cars, clothes, liquor, audio-visual presentations).

But he knows, no matter how many times he dies and then somehow brings himself back in a new or rebuilt organic body, he's getting older, and he's gonna be out of touch one of these days. All the kids will laugh at him. Thus, he tries to remain hip.

I feel like he's the only Marvel super-scientist that does this. Richards probably doesn't even think about it, same for Banner. Pym knows he's a lost cause (Hank Pym will never be cool). McCoy is probably relying on just appearing huggably adorable as he ages. T'Challa is just cool, full stop. Shuri and Amadeus Cho aren't old enough to worry about this yet (and given the rate characters age in the Marvel Universe, they never will be), but Cho probably will end up like Stark, while Shuri won't. Cho has too much invested in making sure people know he's the smartest guy in the room, even when he isn't.

Peter Parker probably depends on how much of a loser he's being written as this week. Brand New Day Parker definitely tries to use trendy lingo and sounds ridiculous. Most other, non-terrible, Peter Parkers don't bother. Like Pym, Peter pretty much accepts that he's not going to be cool. He may not always be correct, but his perception of the situation means he doesn't have to try.

5 comments:

Gary said...

Haha! Yeah, "bespoke" is an old word. Over here in the UK having bespoke suits (jacket, trousers, waistcoat) has long been a thing, originally for the well to do but over the last few decades they've become much more affordable.

In my job I deal with IT developers who make bespoke applications for customers, tailored to their needs.

Strange how it's only recently made its way to the US.

Furree Katt said...

I've only ever heard the word 'bespoke' in relation to tailoring clothes (suits in particular). I stumbled upon your blog after searching for people on Blogger that read The Dark Tower Series - maybe we could be friends? :)

furreekatt.blogspot.com

CalvinPitt said...

Gary: I read something when I was looking up the word's history that mentioned it becoming more common in software, mostly outside the UK, which was interesting. I don't know why it didn't catch on sooner here in the US. I've just always used "Custom", or "Tailor-made".

Furree Katt: I don't see why we can't be friends. How did you like the Dark Tower books. It's been awhile since I read them, and I think my friend still has all of my copies.

Furree Katt said...

To say I enjoyed them would be an understatement. Although the ending knocked me out flat and it took me like six months before I picked up another book to read since I was so overwhelmed by TDT. Stephen King is my favorite author!

What about you, did you like them? And have you read other King books?

CalvinPitt said...

I liked the Dark Tower series overall. The Gunslinger was my favorite, and then my enjoyment fluctuates from book-to-book. King having the characters meet him was kind of odd, still not sure if I like that bit, but yeah, I enjoyed it.

I've read a lot of King's stuff, though not as many of his recent books. They tend to feel bloated, like there's no one telling him to edit any more. But he's probably one of the four authors I've read the most from in my life. I especially like the short story collections he does every so often.