Friday, July 03, 2020

What I Bought 6/29/2020 - Part 2

We are barely two weeks into official summer and I'm already done with it entirely. Trying to get up at 5:30 to get my run in before work, instead of after, is fucking exhausting. Although the benefit of working at home is nobody's glaring over my shoulder if I fall asleep on the couch for the first hour I'm supposed to be working.

Wicked Things #2, by John Allison (writer), Max Sarin (artist), Whitney Cogar (color artist), Jim Campbell (letterer) - I actually bought the John Allison cover, where Claire is sneaking around the forensic scientists, because the shop had it a little cheaper. Don't know why, comic looks in perfectly good condition to me.

Things aren't exactly good for Lotte, as most of the other detectives are giving very slanted accounts to the police, and the victim is in a coma. So at least she'd only be on the hook for attempted murder right now! Claire is trying to snoop around and ask questions, without success. Lotte is successfully fending off the cops' attempts to make her confess, but there's enough evidence it might not matter. Until the commissioner offers her a position as a consultant. A consultant wearing a tracking bracelet, working with a partner who was trying to cajole her into confessing 10 pages earlier, but it's better than prison.

I enjoyed this issue quite a bit more than the first one. Somehow, watching Lotte spar with and alternately freak out over the police was more what I was looking for than the awkward sniping and put-downs of her run-ins with the other snooty teen detectives. I just don't really want to read a comic about a character I like before to interact with a bunch of assholes unless she's going to go John Wick on their asses. Which may still happen. Fingers crossed. I'll reserve judgment on the two cops for the time being. I don't need them to be hopelessly incompetent, but if Lotte can show them up periodically, that'd be nice.
God, the face on that snooty kid in the third panel of page 1. A face begging to be beaten unrecognizable. Top notch work by Sarin, producing that level of visceral reaction. Also with Detective Inspector Dennison leaning back in his chair as far as possible to get away from Lotte's outstretched hand, looking like she hasn't bathed in weeks. Allison always gives Sarin lots of opportunities to draw characters being expressive, and Sarin makes the most of them. It adds so much to the delivery of Allison's dialogue.

No comments: