Wednesday, May 26, 2021

A Slowdown At Summer's End

August has a couple of new things on offer, but with a few mini-series having ended or things going on hiatus, it feels like a little quieter month.

Marvel has two of the new things of interest. One is Al Ewing and Javier Rodriguez teaming up on a Defenders mini-series. Can't say it looks like my favorite lineup - the Surfer's in there, and I've never found him terribly important, and no Nighthawk, Hellcat, or Valkyrie and I'd take any one of them, not trying to be greedy - but it's worth a look. 

The other is a Darkhawk mini-series, by Kyle Higgins and Juanan Ramirez, who did the third and final section of that Darkhawk one-shot I bought last month. This is almost certainly playing off Powell sending the amulet back through time with all his memories and experiences, and handing it to a new kid. I don't know. That was actually my least favorite of the three parts, but I might at least try it.

Beyond that, there's still Black Cat, Runaways, Moon Knight if the first issue didn't dissuade me. Sure wish I'd seen Way of X #5's solicit before reading issue 2. Would have lessened the shock a bit.

Outside of Marvel, what have we got. A few old reliables. You Promised Me Darkness wraps up its first arc, and Freak Snow concludes. Midnight Western Theatre and Locust will both be available. Locust is now listed as an 8-issue mini-series. Seems like it takes an issue or two with the smaller publishers before they say how long something is going to be if it's a limited series. I also read somewhere that Chaos Agent, the other mini-series Scout was going to publish I was interested in from two months ago, may not be coming out after all. Bummer.

That's it as far as stuff I'd been buying. As for new possibilities, Mark Russell and Ben Tiesma are publishing a series called Deadbox through Vault, about a possessed DVD machine (not a player, but one of those little kiosks you can rent DVDs from) that I'm guessing is going to let characters buy DVDs about their own lives. And Dark Horse has a trade of Phillip Selvy and Drew Zucker's mini-series The House, about some American GIs who shelter in a big mansion during the Battle of the Bulge, and spooky things happen.

That sounds potentially cool, but it also sounds like how that horrible, horrible movie Ghosts of War started. Cause for trepidation, that, but it won't actually be out until October, so there's time to decide.

No comments: