Thursday, November 11, 2021

Perdido Street Station - China Mieville

A scientist's attempt to help a birdperson take to the air again results in a quintet of horrible, mind-eating giant moths being released upon the city of New Crobuzon. While the city government flails about, teaming up with gangsters to try and kill the moths, the scientist and his odd little band make their own attempts to deal with the problem, when they aren't preoccupied with running for their lives from the government, the mobsters, the moths, a massive machine intelligence, or whatever else takes aim at them.

All the different elements come together fairly well. The mobster requesting a sculpture, the whole thing about flying, Isaac's interest in the crisis energy. I was very confused how the laboratory cleaning bot getting infected with a virus was going to factor in, but it worked.  

I was disappointed we never do get to see Isaac finish a device to allow someone to fly. Related to that, not sure how I feel about the ending. In a lot of ways. Yaghrek's fate, Lin's fate even more so. Seemed like wasted potential, the opportunity to do something with her character, thrown away. He'd established this whole thing where Lin absolutely rejects her brood mother's restrictive belief system, then later rejected the more typical mores of her people. But now she finds herself isolated in the life she's chosen, and looking back at things she rejected in a new light. Seems like it would have be interesting to see how she processed that after this whole experience.

I shouldn't have expected anything like a happy ending, but I did. I won't say Mieville doesn't earn the ending; the disastrous decisions made enough sense in the moment, it just wasn't terribly satisfying. Neither was Motley's fate, for that matter. The machine grinds people up and spits them out, and the best you can hope for is the people at the controls get marginally inconvenienced.

There's a labeled map of the city at the start of the book, but I stopped checking the relative locations of things within the first 15 pages. It's enough for me to know it's a big place with a lot of different districts, slums, neighborhoods, whatever. Some of them are more memorable than others, but that's fine. There are times some of the elements feel as though they're thrown in strictly as world-building for future books, rather than as necessary pieces of this story. That may just be Mieville' trying to give a sense of this as taking place in a world that already has plenty of history, rather than one where nothing interesting happened until this incident.

"I do not dream, der Grimnebulin. I am a calculating machine that has calculated how to think. I do not dream. I have no neuroses, no hidden depths. My consciousness is a growing function of my processing power, not the baroque thing that sprouts from your mind, with its hidden rooms in attics and cellars."

3 comments:

thekelvingreen said...

Yeah, MiƩville is very good at world-building, quite good at high concepts, less good at plots and characterisation. Sometimes it feels like he's writing background material for a role-playing game (he does have a history with rpgs), but it is all very compelling background material.

My favourite of his books is The Scar, which I remember as a wonderful exercise in exploring a setting, but I have zero memory of any of the characters! Even so, I do enjoy his work, and I think he is a good writer, but not necessarily a good storyteller.

I've heard good things about his comics, but I've not read any of them.

thekelvingreen said...

Oh gosh, his Dial H comic was 2013! I was sure it was more recent than that.

CalvinPitt said...

I see what you're saying about characterization. There were some characters in this I found interesting - the crime boss that had his body made into some sort of bizarre chimera - but it was like Mieville threw so many other things in there it was like he lost track, or was always on to the next one.

That said, his Dial H was far and away my favorite thing to come out of DC's New 52. Pity DC didn't even let it run to a proper conclusion, forced him and Ponticelli to rush the ending, which just seems stupid. You could tell he had to leave some stuff to brief flashbacks and Ponticelli's art suffered as well. You'd think DC would know how to do this stuff better from all those years with Vertigo.