Wednesday, November 24, 2021

What Secrets Await in the Shortest Month?

Annoyingly, Diamond's still trying to get their website into something resembling functional shape, so most of the solicits for next February are lacking in cover images. How do they expect me to judge these books without covers?

Well, I'll soldier through somehow. I hope you appreciate it.

Not that there's an extraordinary amount of new things. Marvel's got a new Iron Fist, and a thus, a new Iron Fist mini-series. So they're actually doing something playing off the Larry Hama/David Wachter mini from this year after all. Go figure. Not sure why the new Iron Fist isn't Pei, the girl who was already tabbed for the tole and being trained by Danny, but that's Marvel for you. Oh, and this thing's written by Christopher Cantwell. I have. . . not heard good things about his Iron Man or Doctor Doom work. Maybe I've talked myself out of it.

The Thing mini-series is up to issue 4, Moon Knight may be doing a tie-in to Devil's Reign (boo), second issue of She-Hulk's out, and I'm considering buying some more issues of Amazing Spider-Man, and that Ben Reilly: Spider-Man mini-series DeMatteis and David Baldeon are doing.

Look, I never said I had no nostalgia for the '90s. Only that I'm clearly not interested in the same stuff (symbiotes) as Donny Cates. Clones (or one specific clone), the Black Cat or the Slingers are another matter entirely.

Image has a 4-issue mini-series called Step By Bloody Step, by the Coda team of Si Spurrier and Matias Bergara, plus Matheus Lopes.Double-sized issues, but it's 'text-free' so I don't know how well that's going to work as a reading experience. There's also the fourth issue of Grrl Scouts, the first issue of which I hope to have soon.

Keith Rommel and Jonnuel Ortega are releasing Ice Canyon Monster through Blood Moon Comics, about a Greenland shaman who unleashes a giant squid monster in response to the ecological damage from shipping. Over at Scout Comics, there's the first issue of Broken Eye, about a guy in 1970s Liverpool with an eye that can see the past who gets in trouble with the IRA when he finds a hand in the river. There's also the fourth and apparently final (for now?) issue of Impossible Jones. Could have sworn it was solicited for five issues when it was first solicited.

Vault Comics has the fifth issue of Rush and the fourth issue of Lunar Room. More accurately, the fourth issue and third issue respectively. DC, there's the third issues of Batgirls and One-Star Squadron. Source Point has one new thing that I don't think I'll actually buy, not being a huge fan of the Victorian Era or penny dreadfuls, but Salty Seductions of Slatious Sea is too good a title not to at least get a shout out. Finally, Viz has something called Deadpool Samurai. See this is where a cover image would be nice. I might get some sense of what it looks like.

No comments: