Wednesday, February 02, 2022

A Steady Downpour of the Same Books

April's solicitations didn't bring many new books to my attention. There's going to be another Kaiju Score series, Steal From Gods, by James Patrick and Rem Broo. That's good. Source Point has a one-shot called 5 Bullets 6 Men, by Todd Black and Alex Garcia. It sounds like a basic murder mystery, but that could still be good. I'm a little unsure on it, simply because nothing I've tried from Source Point in the last two years has landed with me. IDW has Rocketeer: The Great Race, a new mini-series by Stephen Mooney, but I think I'm kind of past needing more Rocketeer stuff. 

We never did get that other mini-series set in the modern day Javier Pulido was going to draw they solicited a few years ago, did we?

Past that, it's the same stuff I've been planning to buy for the last few months. At DC, there's Batgirls #5, although I noticed they're doing another Batman Beyond series, Neo-Year, where the city is "alive", or sentient or something, and wanting Batman gone. It got hooked into the Internet and read all the twitter threads about how Batman is awful because he doesn't address the systemic inequality issues in Gotham.

With Marvel, The Thing will be wrapping up, Ben Reilly is on the penultimate issue, Moon Knight 10 and She-Hulk 4, plus the second issue of that Patch mini-series, and the third of the Iron Fist one, which I've decided to at least try the first issue since it does seem Alyssa Wong's the writer and not Christopher Cantwell. What the heck, right? Might as well give her a chance to wow me.

Over at Image, Grrl Scouts: Stone Ghost is wrapping up, and Step by Bloody Step will be on its penultimate issue, while Slumber hits issue #2. Radio Spaceman wraps up at Dark Horse (if I buy it). Lead City #2 comes out from Red 5, and the second issue of Distorted is supposed to be out, but the first hasn't shipped yet (neither has the third issue of Impossible Jones), so who knows what's going on at Scout Comics.

Ice Canyon Monster will be up to issue 3, The Rush #6 and West of Sundown #2 from Vault are supposed to be on sale. No sign of Lunar Room. The cover's don't say it's a four-issue mini-series, and given the pace it's moving at, I don't see how it can be, so I assume they're giving Sposito time to get the next run of issues ready. There's also the second issue of Strgrl, if I buy the first, and the fourth volume of No 5 from Viz. I still haven't bought the first volume yet, since I'm trying to clear out the backlog of tpbs and GN from the U.S. and Europe before diving back into manga, but I'll get to it eventually.

It seems like a lot. 19 comics if everything ships, and I buy all of them. But there's so many of these I haven't even seen the first issue of yet, I wonder how many I'll actually get by the time April rolls around. Plus, a lot of them are wrapping up. There's one one-shot, and three mini-series that end in April, plus at least one more in May, June and July each.

The anticipation is part of the fun, of course. Opening a comic and not knowing whether I just stumbled on my new favorite book, author, or artist. But I can't stay in a state of anticipation forever.

No comments: