Monday, February 07, 2022

What I Bought 1/31/2022

I don't have a Twitter account, but there are 6-8 people whose accounts I do read. Mostly people who used to write a lot on comic blogs, but don't these days. But now they seem to have implemented a policy where you can only see about 4 tweets before it demands you log in. I still don't think I'm going to give in, but it's annoying.

Mary Jane & Black Cat #1, by Jed MacKay (writer), C.F. Villa (artist), Erick Arciniega (color artist), Travis Lanham (letterer) - I bought a copy with the Peach Momoko variant, since it was the one I liked most, and didn't cost anything extra. Also, the solicit said Saladin Ahmed is writing this, but the inside of the book says Jed MacKay, so again, that's what I'm going with.

Set somewhere during the training montage we discussed last week, the Hood has noticed Felicia visiting this photographer in the hospital and taken an sleeping Peter and irritated MJ hostage. Felicia has one night to get Hood his hood back, taken by Hawkeye in that Freefall mini-series I ignored because it was written by Matthew Rosenberg. 

Felicia lies and says MJ's in her crew to get her out of there, and they're off. Starting with Count Nefaria (apparently no longer Thor-level powerful), and branching out to everyone else who was present when Hawkeye beat the Hood. Hard to believe they got through all this in one night, but sure. They ultimately swipe back what they need from Tombstone, and dupe the Hood, who dies looking remarkably like Abraham Lincoln, due to some weird shadows along his jawline.

It really shouldn't have taken a demon bag eating the hood for Hawkeye to beat the Hood. Parker Robbins' whole shtick is he's a small-timer who thinks big, lucked into a powerful item, and is not half as smart as he thinks he is. Exactly the sort of arrogant guy Clint Barton eats for breakfast. Ask the Grandmaster. But that's on Rosenberg. 

As for this comic, it's a fun little one-shot. It wasn't hard to figure out Felicia's plan to outwit Tombstone, but that's fine. It works into Mary Jane's skills, which is good. For the most part, MacKay writes it so Mary Jane contributes in ways the work for her. Her acting ability, her level of fame, the fact that she's not maybe as fearless as Felicia, but she'll try hard not to let it show. Anyway, I'm always a sucker for those two getting to be friends, rather than there being a lot of jealousy over Peter.

7 comments:

thekelvingreen said...

Is Mary Jane a superhero now? I gave up on the spider-comics with the whole Satanic Divorce nonsense, so I have no idea what anyone's status is now.

CalvinPitt said...

No, she's still an actress as far as I know. She was in the room when the Hood showed up, so Felicia lied about her being part of her crew. Mary Jane does rappel down the side of a building at one point while pretending to be Felicia, hence the outfit.

thekelvingreen said...

Just before I gave up, MJ was running around in an Iron Man suit, so you can forgive me for asking. ;)

CalvinPitt said...

Oh yeah, no worries. I remember her being in Stark's supporting cast, but I didn't remember if she ever put on the armor. Guess it would be surprising if she didn't. Stark loans those things out like they're just another power tool.

thekelvingreen said...

I think this was during "The Other" (shudder) and MJ went to Latveria, I think, because for some reason she thought Peter was there, but because it's not safe to go to Latveria, she borrowed an Iron Man suit. Aunt May went along too, and Aunt May also wore an IM suit.

Oh dear.

In fairness, this was the Cool Aunt May that JMS introduced, but still, there's a bit of a gap between "I know Peter is Spider-Man and I'm okay with it because of course I am, why wouldn't I be?" and "I have power armour now".

CalvinPitt said...

OH, damn, I remember that now. They went to Latveria to steal Doom's time machine so Peter could go back and see the last time he saw his parents before they. . .went off on a spy mission and died? Died in a plane crash? I forget.

As I recall, Stark gave MJ and May his oldest suits, the clunky grey and gold ones he wore in his very earliest appearances. May was not much good using it to fight Doombots, but MJ was apparently a natural. Which really makes Doombots look like total crap if they're losing to two novices in 10+ year old Iron Man suits, including the one he built in a cave, with a box of scraps.

Also, i feel like Doom's machine probably records the temporal coordinates of each trip, so that might have been a dumb idea. Doesn't Reed have one of Doom's time machines laying around?

thekelvingreen said...

Reed did have one of Doom's time machines -- I know because Death's Head used it -- but who knows what its status was then.