Wednesday, June 29, 2022

A Slow Transition Into Fall

September's solicits had a few new things, but mostly it's the same as the last few months. Marvel's not doing so hot, with several things being resolicited. For one, She-Hulk #6, which was originally scheduled to come out in August (and if the book actually was on schedule, would be out this month.) Also X-Men Legends #2, which ought to have been out in June. I guess I'm going to be waiting a bit for that Nocenti-written Longshot story that was going to be in issues 3 and 4.

There is Iron Cat #4, Moon Knight #15, and Damage Control #2. With She-Hulk, that's 4 books. Whoo. Scout Comics is looking to match that with Agent of WORLDE #3, She Bites #2, Locust: Fall of Man #2, and the first issue of West Moon Chronicles. It's by Frank Jun Kim and Joe Bocardo, about a Korean immigrant and his grandson investigating some creatures from Korean folklore inhabiting the woods outside a town in Texas. Seems worth a shot.

Outside my personal Big Two, what else is poppin'? The third issue of Above Snakes (if I'm still buying it) from Image. At Aftershock, the fourth issue of A Calculated Man, which might be wrapping up, based on the solicit. I'm guessing it helps with pre-orders, but I kind of hate all these books now that know they're going to be a limited run and won't just tell me "1 of 4" or whatever up front. If I think the book sounds interesting enough to buy, knowing it's "only" a mini-series isn't going to dissuade me.

There were two possible new comics in there. One was Blink, through Oni Press. It'll be on its third issue by September. It's by Christopher Sebela (who wrote the mini-series Test I bought a few years ago) and Hayden Sherman, about a woman who finds a clue to her forgotten past but finds herself in some bizarre labyrinth. It sounds familiar to a sequence from one of the middle issues of Test, but we'll see. First issue is actually out next month, so I'll have to grab it. The other is a Chun-Li one-shot through Udon Entertainment, written and drawn by Ryan Kinnaird. I stink at Street Fighter games and always have, but I do like Chun-Li.

Red 5 has a tpb of Dead or Alive by Scott Chitwood and Alfonso Ruiz about two bounty hunters who capture an outlaw who's been cursed to become undead by a Comanche shaman. Quite why the Comanche are still trying to kill them, as the solicit suggests, I don't know. Does the curse get broken if he faces the white man's justice? Viz Media has volume 2 of Crazy Food Truck, the first volume of which I think came out this month, and which i will hopefully purchase soon.

More curiously, Seven Seas Entertainment solicited volume 3 of Yakuza Reincarnation. I say curiously because volume 4 was listed in last month's solicits. This isn't listed as a resolicit, so I don't know what the dealio is.

No comments: