Wednesday, September 28, 2022

A Slow Freeze

The December solicits came out two Fridays ago, a week earlier than expected. But there wasn't much new of interest, so maybe it was best to get the disappointment over with.

What's new I might buy? Marvel is starting a 5-issue Mary Jane and Black Cat mini-series. Do I care about Dark Web? Not at all, unless you promise me that Maddy Pryor is going to drag Cyclops' sorry ass into Limbo and tear his soul to shreds so completely no Krakoan hoopa-joop can bring him back to life. So, not at all. 

That said, I do care about Jed MacKay writing the Black Cat, so here we are. The other new book is a six issue mini-series, Grit N Gears, by Angel Fuentes and Nahuel Sb through Blood Moon Comics. A steampunk Western about an automaton lawman turned outlaw. I can't say steampunk is a big thing for me, but Westerns and gun-toting robots are.

What's ending? The only thing I might be buying wrapping up is the Damage Control mini-series, which, September's issue is going to have to impress the hell out of me to keep me reading. I notice Will Robson's not listed as artist, with Nathan Stockman in his place, for what that's worth.

Did I notice anything worth mentioning I won't buy? I have made my feeling about Mark Millar as a writer pretty clear. He relies on shock value, his plotting is spotty, his characterization is shoddy, but he knows how to come up with broad concepts that catch my eye, and work with artists that can make them look good. I saw the cover and solicit for Night Club, about a teen being turned into a vampire and deciding to fight crime wearing what looks like a luchador mask, and was like, "Oooooooh." Then I saw who was writing it. Never mind.

Denpa Books had the first volume of a manga called Renjoh Desperado about a ninja girl with a metal arm in a 'wild west inspired Japan', which seems like it should be up my alley, but the cover art makes me mildly concerned whether it's going to focus on adventure or romance or what.

Also, I will admit that the solicitations for Batgirls often sound like something I would really like. Then I remind myself I already gave the book six issues and it didn't click.

What's left? The Alyssa Wong Deadpool book is an ongoing, so it, Ryan North's Fantastic Four, and the Tiger Division mini-series will all be on issue 2. Meanwhile, Moon Knight will be up to issue 18, still fighting vampires. Remarkably, it appears Blade hasn't made an appearance yet. Look who's too good for killing vampires now that he's hanging out with Avengers, la-di-dah.

The Bruce Campbell-written Sgt. Rock mini is up to issue 4. Nature's Labyrinth will be on issue 2, although the solicit is oddly worded. 'The island will show the contestants who they truly are. Will they accept the truth or will they devolve into the violent criminals they are?' Aren't both outcomes the same. If the island shows them who they are, and they are violent criminals, then accepting the truth means being a violent criminal, doesn't it?

Scout Comics has the second issue of West Moon Chronicles. So is She Bites really just 3 issues? That's 2 months in a row it hasn't appeared. I hope not, it seems like a concept with some legs. Anyway, the only other book is the seventh issue of West of Sundown, although it feels like another title that's not quite living up to what I hoped for.

No comments: