Friday, September 23, 2022

What I Bought 9/21/2022

Wednesday was not a great day. Only found 1 of the 2 comics that came out. According to Diamond's page, instead of close to 8 comics next week, I'm looking at only 3, for reasons I am unclear on. And the calipers on the brakes on my car locked, producing a really unpleasant burning smell and costing nearly a grand in repairs. And that's why I'm a skinflint about buying frivolous things, despite my friends rolling their eyes about it. So I can just pay for this kind of shit when it crops up without an excess of heartburn about my financial stability. 

Also, it means I have money to help them out, so they should really be grateful I lived in self-imposed austerity.

Iron Cat #4, by Jed MacKay (writer), Pere Perez (artist), Frank D'Armata (color artist), Ariana Maher (letterer) - Tony is really losing all composure on that cover. You'd think he'd never by attacked by weird pseudopods while in some strange cyberscape.

It's Tony, Felicia and Tamara trying to stop Sunset Bain from causing nuclear disaster with all Tony's reactors. She also has all Tony's armors to get in their way. Felicia and Tamara, after 3 pages on bandying about various names (such as "The Time-Traveling Ombudsman") for various schemes, split up. While Tony and Felicia try to get to a secure server to purge Sunset, Tamara needs to recover a thing to help with that.

I do enjoy how Felicia immediately starts trying to be playful like Tamara like old times, and while Tamara tries to hold out, she's soon throwing out ideas and perfectly in sync with Felicia again. Perez keeps most of that as broad rectangular panels,, but when they're attacked, switches to a page of  3 tall panels, tilted and narrow. Really makes the characters feel hemmed in by all the repulsor blasts.

Tony and Felicia seem to have achieved their end, although Sunset's got a Hulkbuster. Perez draws all the armors with Bain projecting her face over them, which does look suitably off-model. You kind of expect the face of an Iron Man suit to look a certain way, and a leering semi-transparent human face is not it. Anyway, it's all moot because Tamara got blown up. Oh no. Definitely not more misdirection.

My theory is Stark and Felicia are actually doing the distraction to let Tamara, who is more tech-savvy than Felicia, get to a different server and purge Bain while she's busy trying to kill the other two. Bain could never conceive of Stark letting someone else do the genius day saving. Frankly, it's hard for me to picture, but I'm calling my shot.

No comments: